Only in America

I never felt so important like I did about a month ago.

This is how it all begun, I walked into the big supermarket four blocks away from home and guess what I saw??. Hawaii Maya plantains, for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, that is just another name for 'matooke'. I couldn't believe it!
I was so excited I bought as much as I could, and we enjoyed some nice home cooked meals of matooke and binyebwa, mm mm mm.
I run out of stock and unfortunately so did the store, I'm assuming that I was the only one who was buying it anyway.
I kept checking from time to time and there was no sign that they would restock it in the near future.

I decided to ask, I walked in and approached a guy who looked like he would certainly be of help. I tried to explain to him what I was looking for and for a while he wasn't getting it. Then I remembered the name 'Hawaii Maya plantain" and immediately he knew what I was talking about. He asked me to hold on while he went to check in the store, came back and told me that unfortunately there was nothing. Then he asked me to hold on while he made a call to the dispatchers, unfortunately they were out of stock too. He then told me, it would probably take one or two weeks before they got a new batch. He advised me to keep checking.

Talk about good customer service, I was impressed that he stopped what he was doing to attend to me. Now even though I didn't get the food immediately I walked out really happy that he had taken the extra effort.

Two weeks later I walk back into the store and there it is, my matooke, specifically ordered for me.

Comments

  1. How wonderful!
    Fortunately we have a 'Shop Rite Kampala' in North London that imports stuff from home - very expensive. This Christmas I steamed Matooke in banana leaves, binyebwa with dried mushrooms and sweet potatoes. It felt good to introduce my friends to Ugandan food. They seemed to like it, and they were not just being polite!
    Hope you are well my dear!
    love to the boys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey MO,

    Good on you! Matooke and binyebwa!? Figured by now you would have forgotten how that is made hehe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport