What?!

Continued

We flew into Dallas on a Thursday, got into our apartment on Friday and headed to Memphis on Saturday morning.
Memphis! the city of Elvis Presley. This is where Sam studied for his first masters degree, so we thought it would be nice to catchup with his old friends.
The weather was fantastic, the houses were beautiful and well looked after, it was a very nice place.
We were hosted by Jim and Barbara Pendleton, they were Sam's host family while he was at school. It was wonderful to finally meet them, they welcomed Sam and I like their own children. Mich had a blast!, they had a cat and a dog that he was constantly chasing and being chased by. Melody, Jim's daughter loved Mich and so they played together from time to time.

We spent much of our time visiting with friends, driving through the town to see where Sam had lived and worked those many years ago. We attended service at his church, visited his school, had dinner with his pastor. It was a busy and fun time.
For Mich's sake we went to the zoo, and spent about three hours seeing all these fascinating creatures. He particularly had a big grin on his face because Melody chose to carry him on her back.
By the end of all this we were exhausted but had to attend one last dinner with friends before we left the next day.

We got home about 9pm in the night and I headed straight up to bed. I couldn't quite rest because baby was moving and kicking a lot. I thought, you know, it's been a long day, let me rest a little and he will settle down. That didn't happen, instead I started cramping, I thought "hmm, that's weird". I sent my sister a text message telling her to pray for me because I wasn't feeling too good and she responded immediately.
Things took a different turn from that point, the pain became more regular and more intense. I asked Sam to time the contractions because I kind of realised I might actually be in labor. The pain subsided a little and then started up again. I went to the bathroom and noticed some blood, at this point we knew things were serious.
It was about 12 midnight, I asked Sam to wake Jim up and get me to hospital as soon as possible.
Jim dressed up, said he knew a hospital not to far away and drove us there.
I was in such excrutiating pain, I couldn't contain my self.
We got to the hospital and I was immediately assigned a room and put on an IV drip. In my mind I thought, "everything will be fine, all they need to do is calm things down with some medication".
The nurses monitored the baby's heart rate and it was okay. I thought "great, now all they need to do is make sure my body has stabilised and then we can head home". We had planned to travel back to Dallas the next day.

After a while the doctor came in and did a physical examination. She said something like, "your cervix has dilated and I can see the baby's legs in the birth canal". That didn't make any sense to me. Then she said,"your water sac is raptured, looks like you have an infection and the baby is trying to fight it". I still didn't get it, I was only six months on, such things don't happen.
She said it was too late to stop the contractions, the baby was already on the way.
She said the baby was too young to survive in an incubator and even if they tried, he was most definitely going to suffer some kind of deformity.
She said, "I'm sorry but we will have to let nature take it's course".
I was just looking at her saying all these things and for a moment it seemed like I was having illusions.
Ofcourse she tried to help up internalise the situation but everything was happening so fast.

I was given some pain medication, but I was still confused.

Huh?, what did she say?, what's going on?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport