Lost in transition

I came to Uganda anticipating a time of reconnecting with friends, church and former colleagues. Our first meetings were awesome, there was excitement seeing one another again. However if I bumped into them a third time it felt awkward. Somehow there is nothing more to say, so I’m thinking- maybe I should have kept my visit shorter then everything would have remained spicy. Now - yes we’ve met, yes we’ve said hello, yes we’ve kind of caught up but no, it’s not the same. “Life has happened” we have had different experiences that kind of stretch us in new directions, now we can’t exactly identify with one another.
Then I walk into church - the place I called my second home, the place where I once sang in the choir, the place where I knew almost every one and every one knew me.
I could hardly recognize the faces, I was being told not to do this, “move over there”, “uh no, you can’t sit there”, and by who? People I don’t even know, oh! Feels like coming back to my house and finding new occupants.
Nothing prepared me for that change, 2 weeks away from church is a long time, a thousand and one new things take place, what ever made me think that 2 years away would be anything less?
I continue to learn that comfort zones are a no no in Gods kingdom. He doesn’t want us to get to a place of complacency, a place of familiarity; He always wants us to be on our toes. I must admit I miss the good old days, but that’s what they are going to remain. The days when I would chat with almost every one, or the evenings we would have bible study then stay around hours after it was over just chatting. Pastor Gary would joke about how we stayed at church as though we didn’t have homes to go to.
Every where I turn there is a new face. It’s a good thing I guess - it means the church is growing; my only worry is that it might be growing wide but not deep but then again that is why we have cells.
“We are an English speaking cell based community church, celebrating Christ, growing and multiplying as each one reaches one, touching those around us with the love of Jesus, bringing healing to the city and to the nation”. That is the KPC vision.

Back to my friends and the awkwardness, it’s feels like there is some kind of embarrassment - avoiding eye contact like there is something to be ashamed of.
Ok, I need to get with the fact that things will not be the same, I have to embrace the new and move on.
In a matter of weeks I will be out of here, starting a new life in a different city so I better save my energies for the new relationships I’m going to pursue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport