We are alive!

It’s a little unsettling when your anesthetist begins to hum “nearer my God to thee” while preparing you for a surgical procedure. William was extremely talkative, he liked singing too, before putting me to sleep he said a prayer and my last words were “Amen” – scary huh?! I went into a deep sleep. 2 or 3 hours later I was woken up by the nurse who said “wake up Mary, Sam sends his regards” – that got me up for sure. The sleep was so “peaceful”; I can’t exactly blame MJ for wanting that drug each night. Only problem is you never know what is happening around. I didn’t see my doctor before or after the procedure so; anyone could have done anything to me. He eventually came round to check on me, said the operation was successful (I know have a cerclage round my cervix), I will see him again in 10 days. I was on bed rest for 2 days after the operation, my doctor I can resume normal activities, nothing strenuous.

Thankfully Sam and my sisters were there the entire time - the joys of being at home;- Mich spent 2 days with his uncle, Helen was in charge of cooking and cleaning and helping out every so often, all I had to do was rest.

What do you do when your doctor doesn’t speak fluent English, is very brief and mumbles? Well, such was my luck; Alex is a Russian doctor working in Uganda – hard to tell which winds blew him here. He has been in Uganda for over 3 years and seems to get on well with a translator by his side - well, a nurse who is now accustomed to his speech pattern and can help elaborate when he is short for words.

The medical practice in Uganda is interesting to say the least. Visiting with a Gyn can be likened to attempting to see the president. Lines are extremely long, there are only specific days on which they can be seen and appointments don’t work. I understand that in a normal pregnancy there is not much need to see a Gyn - a mid wife will do just as well, but when one has complications like mine, it’s really unnerving. This is when I miss the professionalism in Philly where there are plenty of doctors and they call to confirm appointments. Even with all my night mares, once you knew what you wanted and expressed it insistently, then you were served.
But I take one day at a time, I’m back in office. The problem with a“blessing” like mine, everybody gets to know immediately, especially when I ask for time off.
“You not well? Hmm I what is wrong? Malaria?”
“No, just feeling weak”
“Okay, quick recovery”
Then next time you show back up, there are weird grins all over the place and hints to “when I had my first child” or just baby talk.
Oh well! I’m glad to be alive, little person is alive but phew! the creation of a human being is amazing – just God and hard work.

Comments

  1. Praise God for your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My darling friend. Thank you for the link on cerclage because it makes it easier to pray more intelligently for you
    Love you and standing with you in prayer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tumwi and Kim - Thanks! We are in God's hands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey welCome back and a huge CONGRATS!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Dan, that means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport