Tribute to Uncle Enoch Kwizera: 1950 - 2013


I could have called, I should have sent him pictures of the kids when he asked. I should have sent that email when I thought about him. I procrastinated. I thought I would reach out when he got better. He had to get better because he was rarely unwell. I didn't think sickness would fall suddenly and take him downward like an avalanche.

I've never had so many "should have" "would have" "could have" thoughts floating through my mind as the moment I received the news of Uncle Enoch's death.

I don't know who coined the phrase "Larger than life" but Uncle Enoch fit the bill. He had the ability to transform the spirits of those around him. He was remembered every where he went, no matter how long or short a time he spent. His presence was so potent. To say he maximized each moment doesn't quite describe the enthusiasm with which he lived. He extracted every nutrient out of life.
He Climbed every mountain,
Forded every stream,
Followed every rainbow,
Till he found his dream

A dream that would need
All the love he could give,
Every day of his life,
For as long as he lived.


Whenever I shared a struggle or misfortune, he shared 4 of his own with advice and that helped me keep things in perspective.
He read every book worth reading. He was up to date with world events. He knew the latest music and news in Kampala even though he hadn't lived in the country for over 20 years. He was still connected with friends, lecturers and professors that he grew up with.
I don't know of any 63 year old actively connected on face book but he shared posts, commented on my status page and was a big fan of my blog. He was there. He encouraged me to keep writing and even offered to be my editor.

Uncle Enoch was not only my husband's uncle, he was my uncle too. When we were still dating, Sam told me about his uncle in South Africa. We exchanged emails; he told me stories, shared jokes and we became friends. He had an intense sense of humor that was shocking at times and totally rib cracking. He once told me the spell check suggestion for the name "Zinsanze" was "insane". I found that very funny.
It would be 5 years before we met in person.
It is not common that a girl relates easily yet respectfully with an Uncle in-law, I thank God.

After a year in Philadelphia, I was still getting lost. Uncle Enoch stayed with us for 3 days and he knew the lay out of the city like the back of his palm. He made friends with the guys at the local bar, and on the 3rd night went out on the town with a stranger turned friend. While I struggled to fit in, he got the local bar owner  to keep his luggage. Who does that in America? At least not 3 days after one has arrived in the country and especially considering that he was an original African with the accent to boot.
He knew how to locate the best restaurants because he had walked the entire city. He took Sam and I out  to diner as though he was the host.
.
He enjoyed drinking spirits. A strong cup of coffee in the morning was all he would ask for. I was concerned about his diet but I excused him saying he knew everything there was to know about medicine and the body, after all he was a Pharmacologist and a Professor at Walter Sisulu University. Read his inaugural address here.

I can't believe he is gone. I won't be there for his funeral -  that would have given me better closure. But like Uncle Nathan said, "In all things we give thanks".

He warned me about putting pictures of him on my blog but I had to do it, just this one time.

Lesson: Learn to be obedient to the Spirit. Reach out and throw a life line when somebody crosses your mind because that means they need to hear an  encouraging word.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport