Parenting! You just never know

When that cute bundle is placed in your arms it’s indescribable. Dreams of a bright future flood your mind. But unlike Mary the mother of Jesus you never know what will happen the next day, the next month or the next year. Are you raising the next Beethoven, Kony, Einstein, Amin or Chimamanda?  Will you light candles until you are grey or cry your heart out when the candles are snuffed out too soon?

Each day presents a unique set of circumstances.
When the police car with red and blue flash lights  pulled up to the side walk and the officer walked up to me, I silently wished he was a mirage. He shook my hand and introduced himself.  He pulled out a pen and paper from his side pocket and proceeded to ask a series of questions: “Where does he usually play?” “Is there a neighborhood kid he likes to play with?” “How was he dressed?” "Can you show me where you live?" I wanted to pee in my pants. My son was missing. He left school without permission. Then the officer made a profound statement, he said “I’m sure he is not in any kind of trouble. Kids do silly things all the time. I know. I’m a father of four”. I could have hugged him at that point but it would complicate matters. The reassurance from the officer turned father helped my sanity, he was familiar with parenting.
He suggested we search together. He opened the back door of the police car and invited me to get in. This was not what I envisioned when I subscribed to motherhood but I'm sure the parents of  Kiprotich, Inzikuru, Obama, Trayvon or Snowden would say something similar.
 I sat quietly, a little overwhelmed with my surroundings as you may imagine. The officer and I were separated by a bullet proof glass shield. The back doors had no handles inside just a plain flat surface - the door could only be opened from the outside. I was trapped. Trapped in a police car. Trapped in a whirl wind of thoughts, emotions and questions. Where could my son be? Was I a good mother? What role did I play in orchestrating this unique set of circumstances? Was I training my child to follow instructions and stay safe? Was I providing a safe nurturing environment for him? Did I miss-communicate that morning? Was I building the right relationships in the neighborhood? 

Constantly faced with decisions and choices, a parent's life is filled with ups, downs and merry go rounds; Caution, discipline, instruct, medicate, exhort, enroll in extra classes, buy the tools to improve skills. Walk with, talk with, play with, pray with.
Listen, wait and hope that someday in the future the labor was not in vain.
A committed parent  faces forward determined to tackle every straight and curved ball that swerves their way. I have learned the most important thing is to look up! Up to the father of heavenly lights who does not change like shifting shadows. Every good and perfect gift (your children) come from Him. The plans He has for them are good. He says He will come to them and fulfill His good promise to bring them back to safety. He has plans to prosper them and not to harm them, plans to give them a hope and a future.
Call on Him and come and pray to Him and He will listen to you. Seek Him and you will find Him when you seek Him with all your heart. He will be found by you and bring you back to the place from which He carried you.

In the busyness of life and parenting, do not be discouraged. Remember, these little gifts are really God's and He will show you how to take care of them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport