Love Locks on the Iron bridge:Eiserner steg


Big padlocks, small padlocks, colorful padlocks, dull padlocks, new padlocks, old ones too.
Engraved. Committed. Locked forever: Laura and Enrique, Peter and Simone and on it goes.

I smiled as I walked over the Frankfurt bridge on a windy September day. It was an artistic sight. As I looked at these padlocks I wondered whether these relationships were still intact. I like the romantic gesture - very sentimental but was love locked  forever? Sometimes such acts keep people committed to each other, like the wedding ring, it is a constant reminder but other times it is just a pad-lock.

In the middle of the bridge an old man played a harp, he looked up and smiled at me but I didn't have a coin to put in his hat.

Did the lovers have spare keys, you know, just in case things didn't work out?
If relationships soured would they avoid the bridge or lock with someone else in a different corner.

The Eiserner steg known as the Iron bridge in Frankfurt am Main is over 100 years old. It is the bridge over the river Main. I never imagined sitting in my S3 geography class that some day the Rhineland's would be right before my eyes.

The bridge gives a beautiful view of the city and provides for a pedestrian path.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport