Mary's little lamb turns 10

I'd been pregnant for a year or at least it felt that way.
Tired and puffed up like a porcupine fish, I longed for the day I would deliver.
My nose extended so far I would have given Pinocchio a run for his money.

When I first felt the flatters in my tummy, my heart skipped. I looked fixedly as a fully formed figure with arms and legs moved and stretched during the ultra sound scan. My life changed forever. I smiled, oohed and aahed in absolute excitement. The feeling that an alien had assumed control of my body was justified. My mood swings and weird cravings were justified too. I could even make a point for hiding Sam's deodorant.

Sleeping was a project, I sat up to turn over in bed, I contemplated each move as though I was navigating a forest. I was torn between shutting the windows to sweat like a trapped thief or being harassed by mosquitoes as they expressed undying love for my blood.
With a ravenous appetite I diced whole Pineapples and slurped up every last drop of juice all by myself, in one sitting and without apology. Each day I wobbled off the taxi, bought fresh sticks of warm, salted, fried cassava and headed home to attend to the first order of business - the cassava lady had found a loyal customer.
I freaked out when my stomach distended in an odd shape - I'm used to it now.
In office, colleagues were eager to see my ever extending tummy and oh how I shuffled through clothes until I resorted to tents. I received tips to curb or indulge cravings. As I contemplated this uncharted journey a friend shared a list for the hospital bag; cotton wool, gauze... receiving blanket. Just what was a receiving blanket?.

What is labor like? I wondered. The answer was imprinted on my mind like a deep tattoo. He arrived loud and proud, testing the pitch and range of his vocals without restraint.

Even with all the preparation, I was clueless after the fact; "How do I get him to sleep through the night?" "I'm going to die from lack of sleep". "Why is he crying?" "Should he lie on his back, his side or his belly?" As he grew older I wondered, "Do his actions define his Character or his personality and what is the difference anyway?

I lost my name, no longer Mary but Mama Mich (thanks to my MTN buddies).

The nursery rhyme "Mary had a little lamb" was written for me. A prophesy albeit and a true one for sure. Every where I went this child was sure to go. To the bathroom and the kitchen, to the bedroom, on the airplane. To MTN and WB. To Serere and Kabale, to Philly, Dallas and DC.
It's been a decade since this book was started and now we are on chapter 10. Awesome!!!

His questions and statements bring laughter and deep contemplation about the philosophies of life. The slipper is never too far away though. I have experienced grades of anger that I never knew existed, moments I could swear I could hear my pulse ticking like a bomb. I have been introduced to and sat in a police car -  an experience I'd left for the movies. I have made new friends and met wonderful parents. I have met teachers who marveled at me, at least they got to wave as they sent him home but I was in this for life. I have had proud moments, lots and lots of proud moments and I look forward to many more.

Children are a gift from God, they come to teach us and shape us into better human beings (hopefully). My job is to "be in class" to be present and learn the lesson otherwise it will remain on repeat or there will be permanent damage on both sides.
Listen, there is a lot being said through those actions. Understand the personality, shape the character. Your reactions and words will be mirrored back to you and others, so give what you would like to receive. Play together. Pray together, pray over, pray for, pray some more. Lies and tricks will not be far but don't condemn, talk it over in a calm manner (scream into your pillow if that helps).
We are in the tween years now but it feels like we've been fourteen for a while. Questions of territory, personal space, authority are always rising at different levels. The future is uncertain, the influences many but as long as I stay hidden with Christ in God I'm sure we will make it through just fine.

The difference a few years can make.
Philly '06


Philly '13 :-)

Moment's with Benjamin '06
Benjamin '13

Comments

  1. Anonymous8:24 AM

    Happi birthday, Mich. You are a big man now; all of teeen loooong years! Congs mate. Maria, mwebale kulela baby.
    God bless you
    Mich, have a fantabulous day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:11 AM

    Mrs. O.I am encouraged and inspired by your writing. Happy birthday to your son! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words and best wishes.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport