A Girl with imagination and zest

"I'm going to turn you into a  bear!" She mumbles, waves her wand then strikes. The look on her face is priceless, like she actually believed her brother was going to start growling. She looks at him intensely as though in her mind it happened.
Perhaps she is the only one who sees the brown fur and the sharp teeth, she left us behind, running away with her imagination.

Last night with a glitter in her eyes, she said "Mummy, tomorrow is Easter!". "Yes! Tomorrow is Easter". I suspected we were excited for different reasons. Was Christ's resurrection the cause of so much joy?. Curious, I asked. "What will happen on Easter?". She gave me that don't-you-know look and said "I'm going to get an Easter Egg". Hmmm, I didn't want to burst her bubble just before she went to bed, so I smiled and said "Good night!"


It's the birthday season at day care, we are constantly getting invitations. She knows all the kids by name and takes invitations personally. I get constantly reminded that Aliana's birthday is tomorrow, Zack's is over the weekend and Sofia's is today. She celebrates as though it were her own. I made the mistake of popping into the store to buy a card, suddenly wonderful ideas sprouted in her little mind. "Mummy lets get her a balloon", "Let's get her this card too" , "Mummy, what about that bag". I calmed her down and let her know we were getting just one thing. Then she remembered the card she had made and insisted we put it in the bag with the rest of the presents.

There is a grown up in this tiny vessel. Spring is here, the winter boots will not do and the summer shoes of last year don't fit any more so off to the store we go. We walk through the door, up to the kids sections and she comes alive in the most dramatic fashion. "Mummy, Sofia the first!" "Mummy, this is a pretty dress" "Mummy, see!" and then she shocks me by saying "but we are here to buy shoes" and walks off to the shoe section.

I had just dressed when she walked into my room one Sunday morning and said "Mummy, you look beautiful in that dress" there was nothing more to say, my heart and everything inside me went mushy - totally blown away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport