Jesus in the Choir


Its Christmas time! Tinsel and lights, spruce and pine trees are all on display.

An invitation was made in church to join the choir for our carol service. As I toyed with the idea I recalled my experience last Christmas.
We had just moved into the area and I wanted to get involved. I signed up. Every practice my faith was tested. I got to see another side of Jesus that I had brushed aside or didn't care to notice even though if was written all over the scriptures.

Because of my low tone I sing tenor. That's not a problem, I'm used to being one of the few ladies that sings with the men. I was sandwiched between two goofy guys. One smelled like a chimney and the other a bar. I struggled to hold my note through "glo -o- o-ria" as fumes clashed right at the center of my nose.
During the 5 minute break, one dashed out to get another puff while the other hurried to the restroom. I enjoyed their company for the most part but couldn't wrap my mind around their habits. From the look of things this was not their first carol service either. Dave the choir master always called them by name.
Billy the smoker was quite free with his hands, he placed them over my shoulder like we were long lost buddies. "Got to leave early today, my 9 year old son is spending the weekend with me"
Jeff on the other hand pulled a crumpled sheet of music from his jacket pocket straightened it out and sung like he composed "Joy to the World". The day of the carol service, Jeff came a little late,
dressed in a maroon shirt, black suspenders and a bow tie. Even though the clothes hung off his skinny frame, he seemed pleased with himself. He had made the effort to clean up. He walked up to the choir master and said "Look Dave, I made it! Couldn't find a red shirt though"
Billy and Jeff, sang their hearts out. I could tell they loved Jesus in spite of their brokenness. He came to seek and save the lost. He asks us to come just as we are, He is looking for the sick and not the well. Church is the place for the sick not the well who have it all together. For some the brokenness is evident on the outside but for people like me, the brokenness is hidden behind a quiet demeanor.
The beauty with Jesus is that His arms are always open to welcome every one.

Merry Christmas!!!

But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people; for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. "This will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."… Luke 2:10 - 12

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport