The Gay Agenda - What Would Jesus Do?


The elephant in the room; - a metaphorical idiom that refers to an obvious truth that is being avoided. That truth for me was the gay and lesbian agenda. I hoped I could wish it away but it grew and slowly squashed me into a corner. I was challenged to rethink my position. I tripped, stumbled and learned the importance of being politically correct in conversations. The sensitivity around the topic was like the growl of a wounded cat before its claws emerge. Activists and proponents were ready to snuff out any fire that did not warm the “right ideas”. I began to question whether there was room for free speech- room to hold my view and not be coerced or challenged for it. It seemed either I believed in the cause or I didn’t believe at all. I wanted to agree to disagree and have that space respected.

Once I had to slowly retrace my steps after I walked into a colleague’s office and caught sight of the portrait on her shelf. Two ladies dressed in wedding gowns. All over a sudden I was alert, I looked around in case I had missed other clues. You see, not only am I old school but usually I imagine someone else telling these stories. I'm a conservative Ugandan woman who avoids controversial topics like the plague. This issue that had once been somewhere out there stared me in the face and I couldn’t run. I purposed to leave the things that people do in their private space and to relate with them as colleagues and friends unless of course the opportunity presented itself for conversation. I hoped not – I preferred not. I figured I was home scot-free if I didn’t talk about it and it was not mentioned well, until another colleague placed the topic on the table.

I engaged in the discussion best I could although I got animated too. Issues surrounding my faith wind me up like that. I said it is man and woman that is God's design, He will not have it any other way. We argued for weeks on end, just could not get enough of the subject. My views were ultimately hinged on my faith and my upbringing. He thought I was narrow minded and offered to give me a tour – meet the people and attend gatherings that sort of thing. A kind of introduction to portray its harmlessness;-“It’s ok as long as no one is hurt”; “two consenting adults = no one else’s business”. I squirmed in my sit, this was an uncomfortable experience but one thing I have learned about God is He doesn't take well to comfort zones. I realized this situation was bigger than me and my comforts, so I indulged and asked..."What Would Jesus Do?"

This question swarmed my mind until I had a eureka moment. I found the answer in three little words “FEED MY SHEEPJohn 21:17. Jesus fed His sheep and asked us to do the same no if’s and’s or but’s. Oswald Chambers puts it quite nicely in “My utmost for His Highest”. He says “Jesus has some extraordinarily peculiar sheep: some that are unkempt and dirty, some that are awkward or pushy, and some that have gone astray! But it is impossible to exhaust God’s love, and it is impossible to exhaust my love if it flows from the Spirit of God within me. The love of God pays no attention to my prejudices caused by my natural individuality. If I love my Lord, I have no business being guided by natural emotions— I have to feed His sheep. We will not be delivered or released from His commission to us. Beware of counterfeiting the love of God by following your own natural human emotions, sympathies, or understandings. That will only serve to revile and abuse the true love of God.”

That brought me to 1 Corinthians 13:4 –8:
“4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails.”

It means don’t make fun of, don’t ridicule. It means grace abounds above and beyond. Jesus is the shepherd and he loves ALL His sheep. When He asked for them to be fed, He meant all of them.

The case was closed.

* We can't change people. Only God can.
* Let the truth of the Word of God shape your thoughts and actions. We either accept the truth or compromise it to suit our purpose. The truth leaves consequences to God compromise leaves consequences with man. 
* Jesus was all about people - He loved them all: Judas Iscariot, Doubting Thomas, lying Peter, Mary Magdalene, the woman at the well, the woman caught in adultery and me. 
We all have issues but He sticks with us. 
When they grumbled or fell shot He rebuked them in love - never accusatory. 

So now I'm here facing this elephant who seems to shrink each passing day I don't know if it’s because I'm getting used to its presence or that I understand my stand better. 
One thing I know is, it’s not my job to fix but to love and feed the sheep. 
Love means acceptance not perfection. 
Love keeps no record of wrong it means each day I see you afresh, with new eyes not for your behavior but the human being that you are. God is perfectly capable of handling the rest of the business.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport