Africa Branded; from the mouths of babes


It happened yet again. I suspect I'm still looking fresh from Teso land.

Today we visited a church and a little girl asked me "Are you from Africa?"
I was in jeans and sneakers, looking like a "summer" and all so really what could have given me away?
I said yes.
Little girl: "Are you from Nigeria?"
I said "No, I'm from Uganda but you must be from Nigeria" (I took a wild guess).
She nodded her head with pride and said "Yes! And I have lots of friends" 
I loved her confidence. I got more interested.
"What is your name?"
Little girl: "Chineke but my name at baptism is ..."
(Banange!!! oba I also start introducing myself like that?!).
"How old are you?"
Little girl: 8 years old.

I met her mom after the service and she told me I'd only got half the story.
If I'd said I was Nigerian she would have asked "Are you Ibo?"
I recalled my encounter on the train, these Ibo's' have quite the presence.

So here's a question for you: Are you proud of your origin? You need to be. It's a good thing. This little girl showed me.

I think I need to prepare my lines for the next encounter or perhaps get the Uganda t-shirts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport