Tea and cookies with Gary and Marilyn Skinner

Gary shares the Father's heart
“My pastor Gary” as one friend used to say, as though she owned him. We all owned him. All 7,000+ of us. When a man dedicates his life to full time ministry: to teach, preach and lead an entire congregation in bible study and worship every Tuesday, Thursday and at least 10 hours on Sunday – he’s invested. Invested in God and in people. Never mind the slight inconvenience of adjusting to a different language, culture and political system.

As young people in search of good fun, Kampala Pentecostal Church (K.P.C) was the perfect fit. We had access to in depth teaching of scripture, the best contemporary Christian music and good company. It is no wonder school holidays were spent at church. We lounged at the reception, hang out with the sound men but also attended New Life Class, Evangelism Explosion, Music, Dance and Drama ministry. The concept that Christianity could be enjoyed, had us glued. That we could use our talents to build the kingdom of God in Kampala was a wonderful revelation. Friendship bonds grew as we grew – the foundation of God’s saving grace took root as we trans versed the country on mission trips and through life’s up’s and downs. When we traveled away from home we fed on sermon notes and songs engraved in tattered journals. The further we traveled the more we were convinced there was no place like K.P.C. All because a young Canadian man obeyed The Call, left his country, loaded his tiny wife and three little kids on to a plane and brought them to live in the African jungle of Uganda. It has been over 30 years since Gary and Marilyn made Uganda their home.

Marilyn and Gary listen to stories of life in the diaspora

The Skinner's first grandchild is in his mid-teens, likewise the extended family also known as the church has grown exponentially - their children have had children who live and work in Uganda and around the world. The bonds that tie us together have three codes; the love of Christ, a shared background and the influence of the Skinner's as the parents of our faith.

What a delight therefore for old K.P.C ian’s in the D.C metro area to sit down to a cozy breakfast of baked beans, samosas , cookies and ka chai with their “god parents”. We mused over times past and testified of the impact their ministry has had on our lives. Gary shared the vision God has placed on his heart to see the church grow even more with worship centers in nearly every section of Kampala. 
We acknowledged how much the church had changed, how we “the pioneers” felt like strangers. Where once we were in charge – now we were being ushered to the overflow section or politely turned away at the door.
Gary said “The church is like a family with grandparents, parents, children and grandchildren and they all take on different roles.” There has to be room for transition. It doesn’t mean any one is less important but balance is critical. With a teenager of my own I understood the analogy. When I turn on my favorite music, my son zones out because “mummy, really?!” and when I stumble upon his music, I say a silent prayer.
Change and growth is inevitable but how it is handled makes all the difference. Sometimes the good old days are resigned to just that – good old days. It is necessary to be relevant to the majority of the congregation - the youth. The old and young need to support each other and make sacrifices. Even though the mature Christian needs to be fed, a times comes when we give back with selfless commitment - to guide and advise and not necessarily hold the reins.

Marilyn is a Ugandan citizen with the mannerisms to boot. She hugged without reservation and used local colloquialisms. Best of all, was the quick pats on my hand or shoulder as she gave updates on friends back home. When she was choir mistress, we spent many a Saturday morning/afternoon in rehearsals for Sunday service and December Cantata presentations. Her focus was on excellence and good stewardship of our talents. As a pastor's wife, she seldom spoke to the church congregation and yet today she is a world renowned speaker who travels for conference engagements. How did she transform from the timid lady to this advocate? I asked.

“Marilyn, I always knew you to be the reserved, quiet wife hinged to the keyboard. You barely said a word to the congregation.”
“Yes, I do well with one on one conversations.”
“Yeah! so tell me, what happened? When did the switch occur?”
She looked me in the eye, licked her lips and said;
“This is how it happened."

She took me on the journey - through the air to a visit to Hill Song church Australia, down the corridor to Gary’s office where he accepted a speaking invitation that was addressed to her but was accidentally sent to his email account. I was in stitches at the point when she was finally on the pulpit at the Hill song Women’s Color Conference. She’d suffered several sleepless nights and an empty stomach that couldn’t hold anything down. She’d rehearsed her speech for days. The moment arrived. She stood before the multitudes, looked at her notes and the pages went blank before her eyes. She unscrewed the microphone in a nervous plight to keep her hands occupied. The mental picture had me wiping tears with the sleeve of my dashiki. This lady is a fantastic story teller, so honest and vulnerable enough to laugh at herself. God orchestrates events in our lives in ways we least expect. With a nudge from a supportive husband who knew her potential, she soared. Women, widows and orphans are her mission field.

An inside joke
We each shared how the Skinner's spiritual leadership impacted our lives. Come to think of it, a quick scan through my friendships and a vast majority of these relationships were nurtured in Kampala Pentecostal church – now Watoto Church. I don’t need to look far as the man whose name I share started as an acquaintance in the Evangelism Explosion class. The study exploded into more than we had imagined - but those are God's ways.

So, the question is, what will your legacy be? Are you influencing your circles? Have you obeyed God’s call? This Canadian couple did and their lives continue to impact multitudes. From Kampala to Gulu, coast to coast and around the world. For the influence that Gary and Marilyn had in our formative years, we are grateful.

In keeping with the seasons theme of thanks giving, it's only appropriate to say thank you for giving to the Lord, we are lives that were saved. #Thankyou, #Eyalamanoi #Apoyomatek #Webaremunonga #Webalenyo …

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:19 PM

    Lovely piece Maria♡♡♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks H. Much appreciated :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow! Thanks Mary for sharing, I get emotional when I think of the impact that the Skinners and the Watoto family has had on me! I should have been about 12 or 11 when I first entered Watoto Church , KPC then! more than 20 years later, I am grateful! I am challenged to live for Jesus and influence my world with His love as His kingdom is extended!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Hattie, Amen! Glad we share the same sentiments. May God use us as His vessels to make a difference for the Kingdom. He has given us much and therefore much is required :-).
      I was just thinking, if it was not for church I probably would never have met your entire family haha.

      Delete
    2. True Hattie!! I can't tell my life story without Watoto/KPC. I share the same sentiments.

      Delete
    3. Mary Mary, I have always told you that you are authentic. Thank you for sharing so heartily. Thank you for giving him or to whom honour is due. Love you

      Delete
    4. Thank you unknown. I'm almost certain I know who you are but the anonymity is killing me. Any way, I appreciate the compliment and I'm glad we are all better because of their obedience.

      Delete
  3. As a young man on ateacjer training college I was allowed to serve in the church Choir under the leadership of Marilyn we were continually advised I thank God for the wisdom and Hollysprit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! Thank you for sharing your testimony.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport