Walking Miles for the Vulnerable


"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path , we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path , we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives." Henry David Thoreau

Walking is therapeutic and magical. It clears the mind and strengthens the body, make that walk for a cause and you've made life more meaningful. I stumbled upon a young man who has made an art of it. Mile by mile, little town after little town he plans to walk through Uganda to raise awareness on issues that affect the poor and disadvantaged in his community. I was curious to know what got him on this journey. In the corner of the office library one cold January afternoon Edwin Barungi shared his story. Thanks to a good what'sapp connection an hour went by swiftly.

It was our first conversation but that didn't get in the way.  An exchange of a few pleasantries got us onto the right footing. “Let me tell you my story" he said, "I was born in Nsambya hospital. My only sibling died at the age of five. I lost both my parents to AIDS when I was eight years old.” He didn't hold back. I listened in silence as his story tagged at my heart. Between primary one and seven Edwin had attended thirteen different schools.


Jail time

“At twelve I was locked in juvenile prison. I stole 2,000 shillings from my aunt to buy a rolex (a fried egg and chapati wrap) but when the police came my uncle said I had attempted to steal his video deck.” It couldn't  get much worse than this I thought. My throat tightened as thoughts of my own twelve year old son came to mind. Locked up with older street kids who were on drugs and convicted for more  serious offenses Edwin faced the biggest challenge of his life - join the gang or remain the outsider prone to being bullied.  He was given three options:
1 – Fry chapatti  - slap the bare front and back of the palm on the concrete floor fifty times
2 – Sing fifty songs
3 -  Walk through the corridor at the risk of being hit with anything.

He tried to "fry chapati" it was too painful. A walk through the corridor, even though it seemed easy was risky as one didn't know what they would be pelted with.
He chose to sing. His song of choice was “It wasn’t me” by Shaggy. He improvised with the lyrics but who cared? He knew more English than the rest of them. The boys cheered! He passed!
His English skills turned out to be an advantage in more ways that one. He became a kadogo (young military boy) to the head of security who in turn protected him. He also helped the boys read and understand the written jail rules. His quick wit and tenacity helped him survive the jail sentence.


Life after jail 

“Life is a jungle, its survival for the fittest”
Edwin was released on Christmas day. He returned to his aunts home. In the course of two years he'd stayed with six different families. Prison had its impact and as a result he felt he know to handle life without instructions from family members, this frustrated all parties. He was expelled in senior one and had been in and out of four schools by the time he turned seventeen. His experiences and the lack of proper parental guidance influenced his demeanor.
 “I concluded that school is not meant for every one” he says. This from a boy who had the crazy dream of working for the UN. He dropped out and got a job with GNLD doing network marketing  but he didn’t make any sales. He told himself “If I can get people in, I’ll make money” – the luring promises of the company hierarchy kept him going. But he soon realized something else - no matter how smart one is dressed, Ugandan’s will not get passed ones hair - the corn rows had to go.

Turning point and mission

In a quest to find his purpose, he got involved with a local church whose pastor opened his boys quarters to him. At 21, he moved out of his relatives home and spent time serving in the church and seeking God through prayer and fasting.
He soon found his calling  - to help people creatively . He took  photography classes and rented a camera to take pictures for charity and that's how 'Photo 4 Charity' came into existence. He'd take photos, frame them and use the proceeds to support the needy in the community.
'Pose for a cause' is another campaign he started to help disadvantaged pregnant women purchase the basic needs to take care of their new borns.
Since he loved to walk to clear his mind – he made it purposeful - 'walk for a cause' was born. He approaches different organizations for sponsorship and together with other supporters they walk long distances to raise awareness and money to meet the needs of societies vulnerable communities.
It's been two years since he started.


Fun facts
Qn: What’s the furthest you’ve walked?
Ans:I walked 332 kilometers from Kampala to Gulu but first I mapped out the route on a motorcycle. I once attempted to walk across Uganda but I was arrested and jailed for four days because I didn't have authorization to walk.

Qn: What do you carry in your backpack?
Ans:A rain coat, change of clothes, business card book with essential numbers in case I get into trouble or lose my phone, First Aid box, gloves and scarf and house music.

Qn: Who inspires you?
Ans:I’m inspired by life. I learn from people but I don’t look up to anyone. We all have different paths to travel.

Edwin is currently designing a website and hopes to register the 'Walkaid' as an organization.
To support Edwin or find out more about him, his email contact is walkaidafrica@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport