Knock knock! Do you know Joseph?

Aerial shot over the sea of Marmara in Turkey. Photo Credit: Mary Ongwen

I was making dinner one fine Saturday when the doorbell rang. Two young men dressed in white shirts and black trousers stood at my door. I smiled and nearly said “Well, well, well! What have we got here?” I squished the laughter that climbed up my throat and virtually rubbed my hands with glee. I was in the mood for a good discussion.
The younger man, probably 17 years old put on his biggest smile although I’m sure he’d secretly hoped no one was home.
I seem to attract these young men who walk in pairs.  On crowded street corners they walk passed everybody to get to me. In the security of my home, they rap on my door. On occasion I indulge. I ask the questions that make them stop.  At first, nerves throb as they start conversations – uncertain of this black woman. Restless eye pupils trained to focus on the subject and act calm. I say I know about Joseph and the book of Mormon. I also say I know Jesus, He is enough. I ask to hear their personal testimonies – a screen through which one sees their hunger for something more. They get comfortable, then don’t want to leave. I say it’s been good talking, but I got to go. I hope a seed has been planted – the turnaround effect of the hunter being the hunted. That’s how I met Brian and James.
“Hello! I’m elder Brian and this is elder James” signaling to the gentleman who stood behind him. Elder James looked barely 20 years old – the signs of youthful acne lingered on his face.
I asked them to wait a second while I turned off the cooker.
Me: “So, how can I be of help?”
Elder Brian: “We would like to share with you the good news of Jesus Christ”
I told them I believed Jesus was the son of God, He died on the cross to save us from our sins. He rose from the dead and He will return on judgement day.
Elder Brian: “Great! So, you already know. But there is more, after Jesus ascended into heaven – that was over 2000 years ago, our founder Joseph Smith was given a revelation for present day followers.”
Me: “You mean Jesus death on the cross was not enough?”
“Well, Joseph was anointed to share the gospel for the present-day followers” elder James chimed in for back up. “I don’t know if you are familiar with it but if you read the book of Mormons it will help you understand better.”
Me: “Oh! So, you mean the bible is not enough?
Elder Brian: “Well you need to read them together.”
I nearly said, “You’ve got to be kidding me”.
I sensed they were not prepared for these questions and short of arguing, I diverged.
Me: “So is this your mission? I have a friend who went up to Mozambique for his mission, he is now at Utah University.”
Elder Brian nearly collapsed. The serious face evaporated and behind it I saw a scared little boy, his wits gathered tight and secured around the black book in his hand. The bag strapped around his shoulder and the security of his partner who stood taller and stronger right behind him, were his invisible pillars. He’d probably have hugged me at this point. With a wide smile he said “Yes, this is my mission. I’m from California. Elder James is my partner.”
“Wow! California is a long way away. How does it compare with D.C? Are people being nice to you?”
Elder Brian: With a smile “They are ok, but their driving habits are hard to adjust to”.
Not wanting the conversation to go on forever. I said it was nice talking and wished them all the best.
Elder James: “Thank you. Since you have lots of questions and if it’s okay with you, we will ask Elder David (read big kahuna) to come by so you can discuss further”.
I was aware there was a script (thanks to Evangelism Explosion). One needed to close the conversation with next action steps for it to be a successful call. But I wasn’t keen on pursuing it any further, I knew I had given them some food for thought. I was also reminded why Jesus left us the Holy Spirit – we needed Pentecost to give us discernment and boldness to preach the gospel.
He will give us the words when asked for the basis of our faith.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey! Let's move over to WordPresshttp://www.ugandanmama.wordpress.com. 
Grace is running out, come on!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport