Praying for the Boys

Wow wow! it's blazing hot down here in D we are at a constant of 100 degrees but it should cool down towards the end of the week.
I'm constantly grateful for house AC because I don't know how else we would make it through. A radio presenter gave a friend some sound advice, in case she was lazy to cook dinner that day all she had to do was put the ingredients for the meal in a sauce pan and carry it with her to work. Then leave it in the car and by the time she was ready to head home in the evening it would be ready to serve having marinated and boiled/roasted/baked on steady heat. I found that funny.

Mich likes to read, no let me rephrase that, Mich likes it when stories are read to him and then when the story is over he says "thiii end". The other day he wasn't feeling too good but he lead the prayer before he went to bed and it went something like, " Dear Jesus, thank you for today, I pray that you take away the pain in my stomach and throw it in the water and I pray that I sleep well" and then there was some silence and he begun to say "thiii.." he stopped and then said "In Jesus name Amen". I couldn't wait to get out of his room because I was struggling to keep a straight face. Boy! that was funny.

Ok, what I really wanted to say is that God has made me realise that one of my other duties as a wife and mother is to pray for my family. I know that may sound obvious but some of us are slow and sometimes it's not until you have an encounter with God that the scales fall off one's eyes.
That's not to say I never used to pray for them but now more than ever I realise that it's my role to cover my family in prayer.
Just like a pastor needs the prayers of his congregation to keep refreshed and renewed, the same applies to the priest of the home. He is the head and therefore the target of Satan's evil schemes so he needs the covering and prayer of his wife, his partner and the person closest to him. I know more about Sam than anybody else (or at least I should) and for that very reason I should know how to lift him up to God in prayer.
Watching Mich grow, I realise the responsibility of a mother is awesome and I should influence him the most because we spend all our hours together. I have been concerned about him growing up in the states, the exposure, wondering what kind of kids he will interact with at school and what influence they will have on him. Originally it was out of fear that I would pray, but God is showing me that He is the one ultimately in charge of Mich's life. All I need to do is ask him to guide me and grant me wisdom and trust God that He will take care of what is His own. These relationships are dear to me but they should not cloud my vision of whose they are.
In that I find my peace knowing that God will take care of them but my duty is to lift them up in prayer and cover them in Jesus blood.
It makes the burden so much lighter, that said I pray that God would help me do my part. For example with Mich I have to be careful to check out the programs he watches and that can be tough, I have slipped quite a few times on this one.
Some time last week he insisted that wanted to watch scooby doo, I was trying to prepare dinner so I got it for him. I watched scooby doo growing up so I thought eer! why not?!, I had forgotten about the spooky parts, at some point he said "mummy I'm scared". I don't plan on doing scooby doo again even if he cries for it, he didn't have a good night that night.
Then another time I put for him Tom and Jerry, there couldn't be a more innocent cartoon right?!. After a while I noticed a disturbed look on his face, one that was between "I'm confused and I want to cry". Apparently Tom was getting beat up as usual and I found it hard to explain how that was supposed to be funny.

It's complicated!!

Comments

  1. Anonymous12:43 AM

    Mary, I love these thoughts. And I love how you are taken back to prayer, dependence on our God, the Overseer of our Souls (1 Peter 2:25). I need to see how important my prayers are for my husband, the leader and priest in my own home. And I am touched by Mitch's tenderness to some disturbing things in cartoons. I want to learn to pray better for my family to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport