Presenting Amani

The scale tipped one fine day when Sam and I went in for an ultra sound scan. Out of the blue the radiologist blurted out “it’s a boy!” We were surprised that she took it upon herself to tell us – we hadn’t asked and we didn’t pursue it any further.
Meanwhile Mich continuously prayed for a little brother. We joined the band wagon and believed with him. When this little person finally made their debut, I had the doctor and the other medical staff roaring with laughter. As soon as I heard the first sound of the baby’s cry, I was thrilled! My heart went “feregeshe”- I was all jelly inside. I said “wow, that boy has a real strong cry”, Dr. Asa then asked, “How do boys sound?” before showing baby to me and what do you know?! “IT’S A GIRL!!”
A pleasant surprise! Absolutely the bestest thing that has happened to me this year. Now I must confess that I’m such a tom boy in my ways, I don’t know how to be all girly girly but I will try.

Amani means strength in Runyankole/Runyoro/Rutoro (but I have since found out it means so many other things in different languages - all good though, so no problem) those of you who know my journey will surely agree that God has been my strength. Holding Amani in my arms is a true miracle.
She arrived more than a week after her EDD – July 22nd 2010 at exactly 11:03 am. She is lovely, sleeps a lot, feeds a lot and is very cooperative.

Mich is thrilled to have a little sister. He dots on her and is a great help. However he keeps checking to see if he still holds a special place in our hearts. I have been getting questions like “Mummy if Amani and I were twins would you love us the same?”
“Mummy, if you had 73 children would you love them all?”
“If you get a new baby, do you throw away the old one?”
I have to be alert at all times because the questions come in different ways but we continue to assure him that we love him just as much.

Comments

  1. Aw, lil Amani is so cute. welcome to this lovely world mis Amani.

    Bambi Mich is being insecure. I guess the name is even changing to mama Amani, lol.

    All the best in raising your 3 babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congs on the baby. Something good in a July many Ugandans will not remember fondly. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks jny23, hehehe I think we will stick with Mama Mich for now.

    Iwaya, I so get you. Am glad she wasn't born on her first due date 7/11 because ...
    Thanks for the wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. petesmama8:24 AM

    Congratulations. She is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How could i forget this; July Babies we ROOCCCKKKKKK.............
    July 31st is me. I refused to come in August. yay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!!!

    He asked you if you'd throw away the old one? Lol. That's funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Had she waited another 24h, she would have shared a birthday with Tim! AMANDLA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enoch, oh! she was willing to wait, but the doctors were not
    :-).
    Meanwhile, I should have thought of Amandla, very appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATS Mary

    I wish i would visit to see the miracle. It has certainly been a journely

    Maybe when i am next in town, i will come see "for myself"

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is beautifuuuul!!!Congratulations gal...lovely surprise!!

    Meanwhile, I had my son in kampala but until he was born I knew it was a girl I was going to have. It could be the same person who did your ultra sound:) Like you, it was a pleasant surprise and I have never laughed so hard like I did in that labour room when I was told it was a boy!! And I had only pinks!!

    Enjoy nurturing her my dear and I can just imagine Mitch's excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. awww, she is beautiful!!! COngrats Mary, God does give us little miracles:) Praise Him!!!

    Please tell Sam and Mich I said congrats too.

    Love,
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations...

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh wow... congratulations

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport