Traumatized!!

I have been in the house too long. This parenting/marriage thing has left me socially kwashiorkored. Seriously!
So, the other day I had a date with a girlfriend at Javas - Nakumatt. I planned to spend at least an hour with her before heading home. I got there early so we could maximize the moments.

I walked into the coffee shop and all eyes turned to look at me. I swear it was not in my head, it happened for real. “Mommy!” I nearly bit my fingers. I quickly found an empty table and sat down to save my legs from giving way. Eish!!

After catching my breath I scanned the room, my friend was not there yet but wow! There were loads of pretty ladies, dressed in every manner of fashion - as though they were all there to make a statement. There was a sense of pride in the air, don’t ask me how I perceived it. With their eyes and gestures they asked, “And who might you be?” No, I’m not paranoid.

I struggled to make an order because the Customer relations lady or whatever special name they give themselves didn’t mind me but I insisted.

As I munched on my tasty Chicken salad, I occasionally glanced up, just in case I spotted my friend coming in. I felt a laser sharp stare from the corner of the patio; an Arabic man was staring at me. For a moment I thought I just happened to be in the way of his thoughts. I glanced up again and he was still looking at me, swallowing was becoming difficult but I tried to concentrate. I raised my head, now looking at the entrance and an Ethiopian looking guy gave me a silly smile, I pretended not to notice, but he kept looking in my direction, I hoped my friend would walk in, but there was no sign of her. I never felt so vulnerable.

I quickly finished my meal, paid the waiter and sprung out. I breathed a sigh of relief when I got home to the more familiar people in my life. Phewx!

Comments

  1. Anonymous2:06 AM

    Hello MJAY!!

    Never mind the stares, especially if they are from men,means you are looking good!!!LOL.

    Anyway, I totally understand how the stares can be off-putting and sometimes you want to scream- cant you mind your own business?!!

    Never mind the long spells at home, atleast they have had a positive effect on you except for the bit about being socially kwashiakored(that's a funny statement).

    Hope your babies are doing well.

    Maya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lmao
    Its really fun following your posts.
    I know that feeling-every time i am in Uganda,However i discovered that it was from paranoia.
    But i relate to this a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport