Kiprotich - a reflection of God's Glory!

“I always keep it in mind. I dream that I can maybe look like John Akii-Bua in time. Today, I joined the champions. I’m happy for that.” 

My tear glands act up each time I see a picture of Kiprotich running to the finish line with the Ugandan flag flying over his head.

I’m drawn to his simplicity, the humility sculpted on his face from years of struggle, hard ship, pain and determination. His dream finally fulfilled.

 Two joyful parents.
His family, excited at the news of his victory. It is beautiful!
Kiprotich brought home gold! The only medal for the country at the 2012 Olympics, the only gold medal since John Akii-Bua some 40 years ago, it is beautiful!


“Being unknown, now I am known,” the gentle and gracious Kiprotich said. “I am happy now that I am a known athlete.”

Kip was hardly known before he won the 2012 Olympics men’s marathon. He was probably not famous in his village, but he wished and prayed for this moment. Could he have been created for this moment? Has he fulfilled his purpose here? May be in part?

His experience reminds me of 2 bible stories:
John 1:45 - 51
Nathanael heard about Jesus and questioned if anything good could come out of Nazareth;
 45 Philip found Nathanael and told him, “We have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law, and about whom the prophets also wrote —Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.”
46 “Nazareth! Can anything good come from there?” Nathanael asked.
“Come and see,” said Philip.
47 When Jesus saw Nathanael approaching, he said of him, “Here is a true Israelite, in whom there is nothing false.”
48 “How do you know me?” Nathanael asked.
Jesus answered, “I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you.”
49 Then Nathanael declared, “Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the King of Israel.”
50 Jesus said, “You believe because I told you I saw you under the fig tree. You shall see greater things than that.”  He then added, “I tell you the truth, you shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man.”

Ugandan’s wondered whether anything good could come out of their own country and ta-da! Kip did it!.

2 Samuel 12: 1-3
“The Lord sent Nathan to David. When he came to him, he said, “There were two men in a certain town, one rich and the other poor. The rich man had a very large number of sheep and cattle, but the poor man had nothing except one little ewe lamb he had bought. He raised it, and it grew up with him and his children. It shared his food, drank from his cup and even slept in his arms. It was like a daughter to him.”

I compare two Gold medalists who are worlds apart; Usain Bolt, fascinating, even funny, he hushes his naysayers’ as he crosses the finish line and then strikes his signature pause. He has got it and he knows. Kiprotich on the other hand breaks new ground, humbly, when we least expected it.

America won over 50 medals, we won just one and how we treasure it.

I hope Kip doesn’t get corrupted by genuine and not so genuine offers that will come his way. I’m glad he has a wife and kids, sudden fame brings girls out of the wood works too you know.

Kiprotich you've made Ugandans proud, raised our drooping heads. You have touched my life and pointed me to scripture. Isn't that what God would have each of our lives be? A reflection of His Glory!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport