Bit by the Cat-love bug

Growing up I knew there were cats period. Dad brought kittens home and we loved them. We scrambled to carry them, to sleep with them, to feed them. They lapped milk in the morning and sometimes we shared our bread. We watched TV together and put pieces of meat or chicken bones on their plates at dinner time. We curved card board boxes for them to sleep in - life was simple. However since my little guy was bit by the cat-love-bug, I have been introduced to several tribes of cats.He did the research. He counted the cost. And now a cat has to come home.
Types of cats
His dad and I are not too thrilled about getting a pet, it's an additional member to the home and it comes with extra expenses. I don't have strength or the money for that. My little guy insists he will take full responsibility but if his room is anything to go by, I doubt a cat will help with the situation. Cat adoption in this place is a whole other thing; the temperature in the house should remain favorable even while you are away. The cat should be vaccinated, spayed, visit the dentist and a whole lot more.

shopping list
 Half the books he borrowed from the library were about cats.
 Internet research
He'd found out cat adoption was cheaper. He could get a cat for $4, it sounded cheap but I thought since it's adoption, it could be true.
We drove to an adoption center and browsed the cats. Most of them were asleep but occasionally opened one eye to lazily look out their cage windows at these human beings ohh-ing and aah-ing at them - definitely not impressed.
The kittens were active in comparison, they played together, chased their tails and other imaginary objects. Little miss A caught the cat-love-bug, she skipped and jumped, more excited than her brother.
I was still hangup on having to find someone to house sit the cat if/when we traveled away from home for a long period.
We inquired about the price of a cat and were told they went for $100. My little guys jaw nearly dropped to the floor with disbelief. "These people are too expensive".
I hoped that would be the end of that, but no! looks like he is over the shock.

Comments

  1. Awesome. Didnt realize there was such a thing as Somali cats. And that they go for a whooping $6.18. Boy, have I learnt something from your little guy.

    I'm not a cat person at all. A dog yes. My kids want a dog so bad, but not in the squeeze of a situation we are in at home right now. One of them even suggested trading in their little sister for a dog once. She gave it a couple of seconds thought and realized maybe it would be more fun the 3 of them plus a dog. One thing I do know with animal shelters and/or adoptions, is that the pet might be free, but it comes with the cost of spaying/neutering it which usually goes for about $100. There goes your "free" pet. Still cheaper than paying $2000+ for a pure-breed though !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aah! I tell you, the dilemma continues."There is no such thing as a free lunch". If only I could find a pet that is low maintenance - one I don't have to buy special food for, one that is clean, one that takes care of it self, one that doesn't need to be "pet sat" if we decide to go on a journey for any length of time. smh

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport