African DNA!

I suspect Africans possess particular hereditary material. Some of the Africans I have met here highlight the very issues we are constantly battling in Uganda. To think that these people don't know each other and yet act the same way leads me to this interesting conclusion that there is African DNA. Certain streaks die hard!

I made an appointment with a Senegalese hair dresser and called her the day before to confirm. Because I had to juggle my schedule between taking kids to daycare, dropping my husband at the metro station and getting to my dental appointment, I rushed the little people's breakfast. So glad I was on schedule after the dental appointment, I drove at a good speed to the hair dressers 17 miles away (you could compare that to a trip from Kampala central to Namagunga). She let me in as soon as I arrived and proceeded to tell me how she burned her finger two days ago and therefore couldn't braid my hair. I don't know why she didn't provide this information earlier. I was speechless! I got into the car and started the journey back, this after she promised to call me later in the day to confirm another appointment. All my plans were thrown into disarray.
I decided to visit the shopping mall near home just in case I had some luck. I saw a "Best African Braids" sign on one of the stores but there was no one in sight. I stood there a while before a man (Ivorian) walked in from one of the rooms. He said they were open and would be happy to braid my hair but the girls were not yet in. He said they didn't live too far away and immediately made a phone call.
"Yeah! I got her, she will be here any time" He was looking over my shoulder as though she was just round the corner and would make an appearance any moment. Those actions were familiar but I thought "Nah! We be in America. Here people no do that". He took my number and told me to stay close by, my phone would ring any time. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and lingered around. An hour later, still no phone call. As I walked towards him he said "yeah, she has arrived, just in the parking lot". She must have had trouble parking the car because fifteen minutes later she still hadn't arrived.
The day was slipping through my fingers. The stylist (from Togo) finally appeared, we sat down and the first thing she told me was "I need to let you know that I'm pregnant!". Well, nice to meet you too. She said some people are superstitious about pregnant ladies plaiting hair which I thought was funny but I also thought - welcome to Africa! Confirmed DNA.

Comments

  1. Haha. Thats funny, but so true. I've wondered myself about our habits dying hard regardless of where we might have been transplanted to. Maybe African DNA is the right way to describe it. I do hope that you did give the Senegalese hairdresser a good telling off after all you'd been through before driving off. If you didn't, then that right there would be African DNA in effect. Just letting things be doesn't help that person change if they're not aware there was anything wrong in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got a point there. I expressed my disappointment but I should have been more stern. I was still reeling in shock :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport