Dentists and Poverty



Every time I walk into a dentists office, I'm reminded why I should have listened to mom. She told me sweets were not good for my teeth but it didn't register - Big G, toffees and tropical mint were essential to life. I insisted and look where it got me - constant sessions on that dreaded chair opening my mouth wide, sweating profusely as huge needles pierce my gums. I have cut a few inches off my waist and strengthened my stomach muscles in that chair.
The doctor drills, fills, cements and crowns and all the while thoughts of building sites and house construction flash across mind. My stomach feels like one big pool of cold porridge at the sound of those machines. I imagine the doctor might drill through my skull, or pierce through my lower jaw. When silent machines are invented perhaps I will be a happier patient. If  teeth were on our elbows perhaps it would not feel so life threatening, one could then choose to look away while the doctor poked and pulled. But because the teeth are attached to the head with special organs such as the ears and brain close by, the trauma is doubled. See,  my visits are not the 6 month routine checkups - they have increased to every 3 weeks or so (depending on my finances) it's a filling, a root canal, a crown or something similar.

In America once you have teeth trouble that is the beginning of bankruptcy. Dentists rub their hands in glee each time you walk through their doors. They scheme on how to squeeze every last penny out of you. They have always been on my "not so liked" list but the ones in America have quickly graduated to avoid at all costs. I'm inspired to floss and brush with extra gusto or else they will be the death of me. Each tiny problem is doubled in size and depth, cosmetic procedures are presented as essential.
I knew it was time to look up my dental insurance cover when one of my teeth started giving me trouble. In this country no doctor will touch you with a ten foot pole without insurance.
In Uganda by the third visit the dentist knew enough to go beyond the pleasantries and ask about the family and work. Here even after the 4th visit the doctor is still asking which country you come from and if you have family - the same questions he asked the first time you walked into his clinic. With his instruments in your mouth, the best you can do is roll your eyes.
I chose the closest dentist under my insurance cover. The first order of business was choosing what treatment he would provide - the cheap vs expensive . He let his assistant do all the negotiations while he listened in the background. Once the decision was made he put on a big smile and introduced himself with a handshake.  Every visit after that was like placing a down payment on a car which I would never drive. Sam had to intervene as the quotes were getting out of hand. Sometimes I didn't quite understand what I was paying for. We approached the accountant to ask about the overall bill which she printed. Sam began to ask line by line what the different charges were for and by the end of the visit it turned out I had paid $1,200 more than was necessary. By coincidence, on the day I decided to end the unhealthy relationship the dentist asked me to write him a review. I said I would and before I knew it and while still in the dentist chair he presented me with his own ipad - I was pressured to write the recommendation under his breath. That was the end. Lets just say I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley - his stern facial expressions and clear thirst for money still give me the chills. Money hungry doesn't even begin to describe him. I guess they are instructed to put up photos of their kids so that patients feel comfortable with them but I'm beginning to suspect, those kids were on loan.
I found a more pleasant dentist who explains the procedures before hand and gives you an estimate before he starts any kind of treatment.
Oh why did I not listen to mummy?!

Comments

  1. Hearing about your experience with that clinic is kind of disheartening. People like them really exist and the best thing we can do is to be observant and careful. It will also be of much help if we have dental insurance, so that it wouldn't be that much painful physically and financially. Thanks for sharing that! All the best!

    Donnie White @ Good Health Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donnie, you are right insurance makes all the difference except this time I got maxed out. Each day I learn something new. A little research here and there will make for a happier healthier me :-).

      Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport