Good Food, Good Fun and Good Nights in Cape Town the Mother City

AWOL Tours: A bike ride to Cape Town. Photo Credit: Ker & Downey Africa
I was having lunch with a friend this afternoon when she mentioned she’d lived in Cape Town for 2 years. I was thrilled. I wanted to know her experience, what she loved. Did she visit Table Mountain? What about the wine country? She was surprised to learn I hadn’t visited but I’d read up on it. So, planning a trip to Cape Town and you don't know what to do? This guide has an ala carte of activities.

You’ve not tasted Africa until you’ve visited the mother city. It’s friendly people and natural surroundings make you want to settle in for a while. The food hits your palate with such scintillating taste you think of your own mom’s lovely cooking.

As a passionate traveler, experiencing new places, meeting new people and capturing the essence of a place are a few of the things I live for. So while scrolling through my Instagram feed I saw a beautiful photo of Cape Town’s Table Mountain, my next thought? – I want to go there! Situated as a prominent land mark overlooking Cape Town – its size and grandeur serve well as a tourist attraction. From cable trips to hikes up the mountain – there is plenty to do. Table Mountain is also Cape Town’s navigation icon – comes in quite handy for some of us who are prone to getting lost in big cities.

Asoka, fine food and good music. Photo credit: Ker & Downey Africa
Now that the table is set, let’s talk food. With an array of restaurants that appeal to both local and international cravings we can officially call Cape Town Africa’s best restaurant city. Even though Kampala my city of birth has incredible luwombo (local dish cooked in banana fibers), it still has a lot to learn at the feet of the mother city. From local African dishes grilled over an open fire to French and Asian cuisine – Cape Town brings the world’s cuisine to you. 

But what really excites me about Cape Town is its authenticity. As a writer and a romantic, a bike ride through the Schapenberg country side to get a taste and learn the history of Cape Town’s rich wines leaves a good taste in my mouth. For museum lovers there’s the Castle of Good Hope also known as the oldest surviving building in South Africa. My love for artistic expression in poetry and dance, would have me spending evenings at “Outrage of Modesty” – you’ve got to love the catchy names too. For my Ugandan’s friends with a fashion sense Cape Town’s top designer outfits would have us shop till we drop.

Cruise IQ with a back drop of Table Mountain. Photo Credit: Ker & Downey Africa
But hey! I can’t tell you everything, somethings you’ve got to see and find out for yourself. Check out this brochure – there’s a world out there to explore. It gets even better; Ker & Downey Africa can planyour trip. You’ll thank me. And to all the Cape Town lovers out there – woo hoo!! Keep living it up!! Tell me about your experiences. Leave a comment down below.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport