Accents

About three weeks ago I took a cab from the bus station back home and I was trying to give the cab driver directions. For some reason I had to repeat myself 2 or 3 times before he figured out what I was saying. I thought maybe I was not audible enough, when I finally reached home the cab driver got out of the vehicle and said to me "I'm sorry mom, I wasn't able to understand what you were saying because I don't speak French".
He basically left me speechless, I mean, now my English sounds like French?!
It's now a household joke, if we go some where and Sam has to repeat himself, we just say "anti your speaking French".


Mich however is in a league of his own, it's been three months of cold and winter and poor kid has not been able to go out and play with other children except in Sunday school. He has however been watching his favourite TV shows faithful, Sesame Street, Bob the Builder, Dora the Explorer and Diego.
But now he is rolling his 'r's like crazy, waterrr, carrr, hearrr e.t.c. It only gets a little out of hand when he starts saying things like bananarrr, and sodarrr, we are trying to keep a check on that though just so he knows that not everything needs to roll with an 'r'.

Comments

  1. Just had a mental image of you speaking with a French accent and rolling your "R's" at the same time

    "Er (rrrrrr) zis is pozibly.. er(rrrrr) quite funny, n'est pas!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm, MO I have to say you and Sam are going to be in a bit of trouble. When my nephew was about 3, my British cousins visited us for about a month but that was enough to get him to start rolling his 'r's'. Dear Father in heaven......HELP!! Sorr, you gurrrys will be firrrne I'm surrrre.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport