Easter

OK, so either Ugandans love holidays too much or America is just less spiritual. Easter as I remember it back home is like the longest holiday of the year. We have Holy Thursday (some people skip work), then Good Friday is a public holiday, Holy Saturday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday, another holiday, I don't get why but it is a holiday.
May be it's the States as a whole or just Philly but the only day that is recognised is Easter Sunday. Lets not talk about the Easter Bunny and the eggs because I still have no clue how these things are related to Easter.

Sam once had an Easter egg, the contents of the egg were, a nail, a sponge, a stone and a tiny scroll with the words "Christ the King". When the buzz of Easter eggs started here I thought yeee! some more reminders of Jesus death and resurrection, only this time it seemed geared towards the kids. Sam, Mich and I were invited for lunch in Delaware, with some Ugandans the host being a Wharton alumni. We had never met but we received a very warm welcome, met lots of other Ugandans and had a great time together. Mich found some Easter eggs and from that point he became very scarce, later I found out that the Easter eggs were filled with sweets and candy.







It was nice hanging out with the Ugandan community, lots of local music playing and wonderful food ; Fish, gonja (plantain), sweet potatoes, chicken, chapati, meat, rice, dodo (greens) mmmm! very yummy. Reminded me of the sumptuous meals we had at moms place only not at tasty, the one thing I really missed was butunda (passion fruit juice), no one makes it better.

Back to the Easter theme, it's by far the most exciting Christian celebration of the year for me. I get so excited I want to dance, in my mind I borrow some of Michael Jackson's moves.
Make a sharp turn to the side, give a kick with one leg and sing,
" Alleluia (wooo) Jesus is alive, death has lost it's victory and the grave has been denied, Jesus lives forever, He's alive!"
Do a spin, then stand on my toes "He's the alpha and Omega, the first and last is He, the curse of sin is broken and we have perfect liberty, the lamb of God is risen, He's alive, He's alive!!
Now we have a new beginning, and a Kingdom that has no end, alleluia, alleluia", then I wouldn't miss to include the backslide and the finger snapping.
There is so much freedom that comes from Christ dying on the cross, wooo!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport