A typical day

So, it's been about six weeks since we came to Dallas and we are halfway through Sam's summer internship, amazing how time flies.
I was a little concerned about what life would be like in this city especially when I hardly know anybody and Sam is away 3/4's of the week. It's not been too bad, actually it's been good so far, I think I like the way things have turned out, kinda like a retreat.
Still haven't made any friends (what did I expect? find a bosom buddy in a week?) , but there are people to talk to as one goes a long, a "hi" over here and "how are you doing" over there and "is that your son" kind of thing.

My day starts between 7 am and 7:30 am depending on when Mich comes bumping into my room to ask me "why are you sleeping mummy?", well other times he just lies next to me and waits for me to open my eyes.
Then we have breakfast, for some reason he will not take his morning bath before drinking his milk, but again who is to blame for that?.

By 9:30 we are set to start the day, I try to think up things for him to do but when I don't have anything planned out I ask Mich. Then he says let's go check mail (that's what we do every morning), well at least that gets us out of the house to begin with. Then depending on a number of factors we will go to the lake side and check out the ducks and squirrels or go to the library to borrow some books, or just take a walk and play games as we go a long.
Today we went by the book store and I found a really nice book for teaching preschoolers so I think we will include some learning into our schedule. It has the alphabet, numbers, colors and other stuff should be quite interesting.

Before you know it it's 11:30 am time to head home for lunch. Now I never imagined myself getting into sandwiches and stuff for lunch but there you go. It's so much easier to prepare, takes less time (time that is real precious to Mich so he can go out and play) and one less battle for me trying to feed a toddler who doesn't like the word "food" very much.
We are usually done with lunch by 12:30pm then it's time for a nap, the bargaining starts at 12:30 by 1pm he is in his room looking at pictures in his book or playing some games.
Then I have my prayer/quiet time and nap too, by 3pm we are up and Mich is asking if he can watch something on TV. I scan through to see which of his favourite cartoons he would like to watch and then while he watches I do some exercise.
Dinner is usually ready by about 6pm so we eat for about 2 hours, it's not that the food is that laborious but Mich loves to tell stories at dinner time. All over a sudden he can't stop talking and I have to keep reminding him to eat, then before you know it I have to feed him because he says he is tired of eating, my life!

Anyway thank God for the people who discovered that 8pm is the time for bed, I just love it. After dinner I get Mich ready for bed, read him 3 or four stories (the demand for more stories is getting a bit much) then we pray and it's goodnight.
Then I have some peace and quiet to watch TV, or a movie, clear the mess for the day, blog, check and reply to mail and so on and so forth.
Once in a while I'll hear "mummy please can I have a little water" but other than that I see him the next morning asking me "why are you still sleeping mummy?" or just lying next to me waiting for my eyes to open.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport