Once a girl, already woman.

A woman emerged from the shell of a child.
She was once a little girl, now, I can barely fathom the curves and dips of her frame. She sways from side to side as she walks, lifting her legs like 20 tons were attached to each ankle. I tilt my eyes slightly upwards to capture her face and my head moves from the left to the right to engulf her entire form. She ogles, follows, and traces my movements in an eerie fashion. If she could stop all the intensity I’d relax, but with no sisters, and a mother who is least likely to entertain a needy daughter, I end up being the scapegoat.
She grunts nearly all the time. I wonder what runs the course of her mind for she seldom speaks. Not that she is shy, no! She will raise her voice at the slightest provocation, making her more cryptic.

With her big, round, expressionless eyes looking straight at me she says, “I need to talk to you”. Before I brace myself or compose my thoughts, she unburdens her heart. Casually opening a can of worms, and pulling skeletons out of her closet, she lays them on the table; No apologies, just matter of fact information. Without flinching she explains the anatomy of each skeleton, I wish I could put a tight lid on the worms but no! She is not holding back, she lets me have it all. I almost break out in beads of sweat - embarrassed, empathic, nearly apologizing for her pain. Tears flow from her eyes but she shows no emotion.
I’m humbled - speechless. What do you say when a little emotionless girl turned woman, opens the pages of her life? Especially when you are caught off guard? I barely know her, what do I do?

Comments

  1. Oooh, teen angst.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey I've been following you with the House hunt posts-you got me scared.
    hope you are all good now.
    about the girl just listen take a part of Her pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tumwi

    Hi Robyn, it's been a while, hope you are good. About the house hunt, man! you haven't heard the last of it. Thanks for the advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, what have I missed while I have been away. Are you back in Kla? Holiday oba back to stay?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey 3TOC, there is def a lot of catching up to do :-). How are exams coming a long?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl turned woman just needs a place to unload. sometimes the best thing you can do is just be there to listen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport