The Ebony Tower

As I look around for someone to pay me to tell stories, and to avoid being idle and disorderly, I went visit a former lecturer at Makerere University.
I took a taxi to Wandegeya with the aim of using the famous “gate” in front of University hall. The area is buzzing with kiosks in all sizes and shapes. What was once a tiny rack of second hand shoes for sale is almost a full blown shoe store - without the four walls.
I couldn't find the gate. It was either uprooted or trampled, but the remains are evident – two strong poles, bits of mesh sticking out of the ground and a worn path. University hall looks horrible; the filth, broken glass and worn window frames are hanging on by some miracle.

These buildings haven’t been renovated in over 20 years and to think the halls are churning out graduates by the minute... What will be left for those little boys and girls who are dreaming of coming to the famous hill? Is this the destiny of all government institutions?

The arts faculty and precisely the literature department, has a dusty, ancient feel - like a famous building turned into a museum. There is no effort to preserve the look, it’s natural. The hall way is musty, the pin up boards are the same, the photocopy lady is still in her corner, the dark corridor has the same art pieces that have never been touched since they were hang up.
There is a phone booth, a stall or a kiosk on every 5 meters of compound and idle photographers wait to take passport size photographs. There are pockets of students standing around and it's not like they are waiting to attend a lecture. What is all the idleness?

I took a stroll to my former hall of residence. The canteens are owned by the same shop keepers, who I assume are the happiest Ugandan entrepreneurs, they are a lot chubbier. I was amused to see stationed manicure and pedicure facilities, with pillows for comfort. Back in the day we painted our own nails. I don’t remember visiting a salon the entire time I was on campus – I didn’t need to, my hair was natural and braided half the time. Times are changing constantly.


I nearly slipped and fell moving around to see the rooms; the bars that used to serve as a support are now used to hang laundry. So, quite apart from the shabby look, the dripping water had me skidding; -
The bathrooms?! eew!
Is the academic state of affairs surprising? Hardly! There is rubbish everywhere and at every level.
The lecturer wasn't in, probably looking for money some where else.

Comments

  1. I feel you pain!
    You said you was away for almost 5 years!
    I know the feeling you have, since you had a dope time there (it seems)

    i was a huge Cote dude...

    ReplyDelete
  2. was on the hill not so long ago and the rot you describe...well, that is normal; ugly situation i tell you

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw the UH description I remembered one of all time friends is the governor. U do not want to see the staircase to his room. Litterd with rubbish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, it was like that when I was at Uni 10 years ago. Nothing has changed. You are probably spotting them more because you are looking at them through fresh eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What did u expect, MO, taking the WHOLE picture into perspective? Rememba my 'editorial offer' to turn ur Blogs into doughs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. B2B, Sleek,Kim - I guess you are right. My contacts are blurring my view. Maybe with time they will adjust to the reality.

    Uncle Enock - Seriously now, we need to talk.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport