"The Girls"

I’m not a fashion guru. In fact I'm not fully aware of the current trends. When shopping, I look for clothes that flatter my shape and are comfortable, whether or not they are the latest styles.
The Ugandan trend is - “If it’s in - wear It!” Never mind that it doesn’t suit your size or shape. As I walk on the streets of Kampala, I see ladies in ill fitting clothes all in the name of “keeping in style” and I’m embarrassed on their behalf. It’s particularly unpleasant when one has a big bust and an extended tummy, with a butt that’s heading in the opposite direction. All the curves and contours are emphasized, it’s not cool.

Blouses and dresses with low cuts at the front have invaded the city too, no problem! Who am I to dictate what ladies wear anyway? Issues arise though in taxis - when they have to bend over to get in/out/or shuffle over to let someone pass. Twice I have watched men get totally disorganized, either because “the girls’ are in full view or they are about to fall out.

Then there are women who don’t wear intimate apparel for their busts. One can see “the girls” chilling or very attentive, depending on the fabric and the weather. Now that I understand men to be optical machines, I shudder. I would like to think that the women are not aware of the effects, and probably don’t do it to provoke emotions, but for decency’s sake,cover up already!

I’m beginning to sound like those “kill joy old ladies” in my past.

Comments

  1. Hon I was just about to write about this....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kill-joy old or not, you have a point. Un-necessary exposure like that is always disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. petesmama1:54 AM

    Yeah... you are getting old.

    But seriously, it is okay to dress sexy, but the lines between sexy and skanky are not defined.

    You have to be a lady and confident in your worth and value and beauty before you understand that showing your butt crack is unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just wish people realised we did not want to see their everything.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport