I love Uganda












Chap-chap!
Just like that, 2 months have whizzed passed since coming home. I have done my share of complaining and now life goes on. It is almost down to a routine; Crazy boda-boda men putting their lives on the line, the pushing and shoving, heavy traffic, numerous holidays. The riots came as a surprise welcome home package but clearly some Ugandans are burning with rage and there is dynamite waiting to explode.
I love the predictability of the weather, when it’s scorching hot during the day; I know showers are around the corner. I know that since the UMA show is on, it’s going to rain; at least it has been that way for many years. I love the cool breeze and I’m glad I don’t have to drastically change my wardrobe to suit the weather. I miss fall colors but not the cold winter nights, wrapped up, sipping on a cup of coffee every hour. Hustling with Sam to turn up the heat and he turning it down because much as I need the warmth but he can’t take the bills.

I love munching on a soft freshly baked bun, sprinkled with sesame seeds, sand witched with crunchy onions placed over tasty ham, glazed with mayonnaise, snappy lettuce and a nice red round juicy slice of tomato yummm! The Dominoes burger does it for me!
I close my eyes and slurp as I chew on the tastiest, juiciest, Ugandan pineapple.
My toes curl as I sip on an ice cold glass of homemade, thirst quenching passion fruit juice.
Memories of a fun filled childhood rush in like kids running out to play when I settle down to a plate of that white ish – colorless ish stick of sugar cane. Ah! It makes a cracking sound when I take a bite, as I begin to crunch, the sweet juice gushes out, filling my mouth, it flows down my throat and I forget it’s a chore to spit out the husks.
The firm, fleshy jack fruit, takes me to another place.

As I glance at the tree in my compound, pregnant with its fruit, my cheeks lean up to meet my eyes.














The “C” word (calories) is history, food is fresh, healthy and organic.
Oh Uganda, may God uphold thee! ( and I haven’t even mentioned the Avocado).

Comments

  1. Rub it in, why don't you? I am SO homesick :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. i miss home already.
    am done with exams.havent been reading you for a while so i am a lil bit back-bt ill do just fine i need to catch up so ill go follow up some old posts

    ReplyDelete
  3. The emotion in this one..eh!! Glad you are loving it...i had to skip your foody descriptions, i don't trust your leniency on us hungry chaps;now to get smthng to eat

    ReplyDelete
  4. its good to know you are not talking about the irritating things but relishing the best of the moments under the circumstances..we too shall soon not have to be tucked under a warm blanket in october and starting to wear thermals and long johns!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mwattu you finished the energy in me at the juicy pineapple and the freshly made SWEET passion fruit juice. My oh my. Oh Uganda the land of beauty for real. And at first glance I thought the tree was a fene tree but I see a ripe mango.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport