It's over, now what?

I woke up early and lay in bed, enjoying the warmth and debating on how soon after the alarm went off I should drag my legs onto the floor. When I finally dragged myself to the shower, I was almost wide awake. By the time I was ready to leave the house, it was 7:15, the marathon was scheduled to start at 7:30. I grabbed the first bodaboda and got to the starting point just in time to see the tail end of the multitudes that were stampeding and pushing in the name of running. So this time I wasn’t able to get good snap shots.
At around 7:50 I heard people shouting “he is back”, “cheer him on”. I thought that was just wrong, did the man take a short cut? Did he forget the route? The marathon had just began, how could someone be back so soon? What drug was he on? I put my ignorance aside and acknowledged that some people are road runners, the guy did make 10km in less than 26 minutes.
I love the mood stirred by marathons –a spirit of unity, solidarity, and purpose, the pickpockets and thieves notwithstanding. I was amazed at the numbers of people that trotted up and down the streets of Kampala in the name of preparation. They had a set goal and were united in achieving it. When the day arrived, acquaintances had been made, business cards exchanged, maybe even proposals. I wonder if this unity could seep into other activities like fighting corruption, injustice and poverty. What potent does a marathon hold to draw millions of East Africans? That street vendors and taxi drivers would gladly part with 6,000 shillings? May be they are happy to spend it on events they will execute personally not in mystery ventures like Aids and Malaria prevention.




I took pleasure watching people clock in, walking, limping, some even running with fresh enthusiasm. Standing at the side lines I saw friends, relatives, colleagues, schoolmates that I hadn’t seen in eons. That was enough to keep me smiling all morning, amazed at the effect life has had on them – some were smaller, larger (mostly larger), bolding, graying – aah! I smile again. There is something special about seeing old school mates later in life, especially those with whom I lost teeth, lisped with and discussed the amazing rats in our homes.

Comments

  1. meanwhile Socks, my first socks of the day. bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you went to the marathon to look?

    ReplyDelete
  3. But streetsider, you will not harrass me. I have good reasons for "looking" :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think one day i should take myself to the marathon,not run just watch. Activities like these do bring people together.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport