Robert the Cleaner

Robert is an energetic, hard working young man that I met 5 years ago. He is one of our office cleaners. Whenever we need an extra hand, Robert gladly chips in. He runs a thousand and one personal errands; paying electricity and water bills when staff can’t leave the office, he is sent for food, he cleans, he photocopies, and he prints, never complaining. Office would be lacking without him, he is a link in this chain without which, progress would come to a halt.

When I came home last year, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a call from him. He wanted to know how I was – amazing!
When I returned to work 2 weeks ago, with a glimmer in his eyes, he informed me that he is a senior 6 candidate. I was elated! He is in his early 30’s, he works 7am to 5 pm, as soon as he clocks out, he dashes to school for evening classes which end at 10pm – talk about resilience. I’m totally inspired by him.

Today is examination briefing for all senior 6 candidates. He took the day off, but I was surprised to see him rushing into office. He seemed a little unsettled, but I assumed he was tying up a few loose ends. Before heading out the door he said “I am going for briefing just now, but last night thugs broke into my house and stole everything”. I was speechless! Leaving me no time to commensurate, he smiled briefly and run out the door.
He has left a print on my life.

Comments

  1. Now that is a great Man.e need people like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Robert
    Hope it wont affect his concentration during his exams.
    Success in his exams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God will for sure bless his efforts and take him far. Such a great person

    ReplyDelete
  4. Success to that guy..he's a winner

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport