Between A Rock and A Very Hard Place

Ah! Life can be complicated and other times it can be knotty. Last week life was knotty and complicated. Conversations were minefields, I had to put up my sensors to navigate away from explosions.

So, President Museveni signed the anti-gay bill criminalizing homosexuality in Uganda.Then President Obama wrote him a letter saying the legislation complicates a valued relationship. The statement went on to say, "Now that this law has been enacted, we are beginning an internal review of our relationship with the government of Uganda to ensure that all dimensions of our engagement, including assistance programmes, uphold our anti-discrimination policies and principles, and reflect our values".
A day later, Jim Kim, the President of the organisation I work for wrote a statement addressed to all staff condemning countries and people who discriminate against homosexuals.The barrel of the gun was pointed straight at me; my country of birth had taken a stand, my country of residence had taken the opposite stand, my boss has taken the same stand.

I thought I would muse quietly, cheer for my kin but keep a straight face when suddenly in the team meeting all the eyes turned in my direction "Mary, what do you think?" The only black girl on the team, the only African on the team, the only Christian on the team - the Ugandan. I held my breath. I wanted to hide. I wanted to wish the situation away but no, all 6 eyes were channeled in my direction. I was tempted to use my faith microphone but it is not encouraged in this organization. People come from all cultures of the world and passion about "your thing" can be construed as damning to others, so don't play the faith card. The struggle begun, how do I keep my cool, shut up about my faith and ride the "culture and this-is-an-absolutely-abominable-act-among-my-people" card. So I played the kisanja card and they quickly nod. A big sigh on my part.
But there is that one person who seeks you out, who will not stop at anything to know your thoughts. The one with whom you tell it like it is and that is the guy who sits across from me.He is so passionate about this topic. He gets all animated you would think he was defending his thesis. His current project is to make me a convert.

So here I am in a foreign country, caught between being graceful to my host and declaring support for my people. I don't doubt my stand on the issue but sometimes the big words about discrimination and human rights cause me to leave the crowd. I look into the mirror and ask myself; Where do you stand? What do you believe? I come out of seclusion with one conclusion;- I live by a different set of rules, a different moral compass and it is found in the Living Word of God.
God loves me, warts and all but He will not leave me that way. He doesn't condemn me but tells me to go and sin no more and as far as I know it's a daily process, a process of daily surrender. Perhaps with that view in mind we would all regard ourselves as sinners in need of a Savior.

Now let me go and celebrate "12 Years a Slave" the most heart wrenching Slave account I have ever read. If only Solomon Northup knew how big his story would get. I'm sure glad he told it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport