Man's wisdom and God's foolishness

This morning I finally understood 1 Corinthians 1:25 "For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength".

As I sat in the auditorium I pondered how God placed a simple person like me among the brightest, most intelligent people in the world.  They moved swiftly. Suits and ties flying as they paced with purpose, making haste for an all important session.

Having just returned from the dentist's office (a story for another day) and hungry as could be, I joined the pre-meeting lunch. Obviously not for matooke, rice and chicken but muzungu style nuggets: leaves, bread, cookies, water, soda ... you get the drift (and people wonder why we lose weight in "outside countries") kiri bubi bambi! But you get with the program and eat with more passion than the owners, even looking for more salad dressing.
So I was picking my leaves when this guy, his orientation clearly spelt out by his hairstyle raised his huge gadget of a camera. It was the kind that threatens, not only in it's size but I imagined it would capture every pore and every hair strand. I would have a difficult time convincing any one that it wasn't me. Since I was making an effort to stay below the radar, I darted away as fast as my dainty feet could carry me.
Why was I at this session anyway? One - curiosity, two -  I knew Uganda would be topic for discussion since Museveni recently signed a most controversial bill.
I took an inconspicuous seat.
Among the 400 attendants about 50 were African, clearly not their favorite topic huh?!

The first speaker's opening remark was "Discrimination is bad for people and societies... it carries a cost for development". She said Uganda could lose $6 Billion, for each project which could be implemented what with the AIDS epidemic and sexual minorities. She said wrecking the lives of sexual minorities in place of cultural views is not good for society. She presented links between homophobia and economic development and I couldn't help thinking how she would enthusiastically sell sand to an Arab in the desert without blinking.

I was still rolling that over in my mind when I looked out the door and saw a man leisurely stroll out of the women's restroom. My heart bounced. So with all these arguments for human rights, we also have to make room to bump into men in the privacy of the restroom because well, you see, they are not exactly "men".
Life just gets harder ainit?!

Back to the presenter. She explained how this discrimination affected individual outcomes; the victims lived shorter lives and were less educated. Really? This was a real case of T.G.E because I didn't see the link especially in Uganda's case. No body is banned from school. Didn't we have stories of lesbians in our high schools? How many were expelled because of such rumors? Were students sent home and denied study? I thought that was a little far fetched.
Apparently gay men earn less than their heterosexual counter parts - another story if you asked me. The correlation between your "lifestyle" and how you perform in office is a bit strange, not that bosses are really interested in what you do behind closed doors. Alright, I know some are but you get what I mean.

The second presenter from google shared a presentation analyzing the "sites" that people visit. Apparently there are huge audiences.



After some time, I thought the pending work at my desk required immediate attention so I left.

1 Corinthians 1:25 really did hit home today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport