A Foreigner at Home


Intent on taking shots of Kamokya, I made my way to the roof top of Acacia Mall.
I asked one of the guards if I could take pictures and he politely agreed.
I went snap, snap, snap. Another angle, snap, snap, snap when I noticed from the corner of my eye 3 guards walking towards me.
Guard 1: excuse me madam, you are not allowed to take pictures here.
Me: But I just asked your colleague 
Guard 1: Yah! But it's not allowed
Me: why?
Guard 1: it's not allowed. For security reasons.
Me: Ok, may I go then?
Guard 2: but madam, it seems you are not from around here.
I told him I was visiting but that I came from Serere.
He was visibly delighted.Turned out he was from Kumi.
"God loves me. To find a sister like you, my heart summersaults in my chest. You make me so proud". You've got to hear that phrase in Ateso to grasp his excitement. At this point his hands were all over the place ... on my wrist, on my shoulder ... I had to step away.
But I digress. This is a semi aerial view of Kamwokya with Gapco petrol station at the bottom. Lots of new buildings have sprouted in the area.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport