The Art of Being Human: D.C vs KLA or KLA vs D.C

"I'm convinced of this: Good done anywhere is good done everywhere. For a change, start by speaking to people rather than walking by them like they're stones that don't matter. As long as you're breathing, it's never too late to do some good". Maya Angelou

While in Kampala, I boarded a taxi destined for the city center. As I waited for it to fill I looked out the window and tried to piece my day together. I marked which routes to take and how long I would be there when I suddenly realized my neighbor had been trying to catch my attention. It turned out that what I imagined a humm in the background was the lady greeting me "Wasuzotya?" This had been her third attempt.
I responded with a huge smile to make up for her insistent efforts. 


In D.C people are plugged-in most of the time. Wires hung out of ears and huge headphones clasp either side of their heads - everyone is linked to another world. Other times the poignant silence says it all - personal space.
I can always tell my fellow "maalo" folks by the way they look around and into peoples eyes.

That evening I hoped into a taxi headed to Ntinda and the driver was singing. He played his music loud on the car radio as is the norm. Passengers are subject to the drivers choice of music or radio station. He sang along to the vernacular church hymns probably reminiscing about Sunday services in his local church. The only problem was he was off key - I can not stress that enough. The beautiful thing was the passengers were oblivious. A similar stint on the metro or on public transportation in D.C would cause a whole other reaction. 
Like the morning one man forgot to plug his earphones in all the way and so his music filled the train cart. One upset passenger walked up to him and expressed how neither he nor the rest of the travelers were interested. Never mind that it was on for less than a minute.

I guess it is these differences that make cultures and people unique. We all need the courage to live out Maya's statement - do good and notice people because we all matter. 


Comments

  1. There's something about us. Greetings are part of our culture. We greet people we find waiting in line, we greet boda riders as a preamble to asking for directions or even a ride☺, we greet fruit vendors before buying a bunch of bananas. That's who we are. It keeps us humanely warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Courtesy. It's not until one travels away that one realizes why Ugandans are considered one of the most hospitable. We need to know that about ourselves and use it to our advantage together with our tourist attractions.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport