Darth Vader

This past Saturday Sam, Mich and me visited the Franklin Institute where I finally got to meet Darth Vader.
I don't know that much about him, seeing as I'm not a big Star Wars fan but I thought it was the cool thing to do. That - for all the Star Wars' lovers out there.



Mich was not too happy about his looks and the way he sounded so I stood between them.




These are the actual sizes of animal hearts, the human heart was around the 6th from the smallest. Even the ostrich has a bigger heart than we do. I don't remember which animal had the largest heart but it was either an Elephant or a whale.
Sam and Mich doing some physics.

Later, Sam took Mich and I to watch our first 3D movie in the IMAX theatre - Dinosaurs Alive. It was fascinating to watch dinosaurs that were almost life size!

The documentary showed animated dinosaurs and paleontologists traveling the world on the hunt for dinosaur bones. It's amazing to think how people make a living as paleontologists, certainly only in America.
We got to see 'actual footage from the expeditions of American Museum of Natural History scientist Roy Chapman Andrews, believed to be the inspiration for the Indiana Jones character, and witness recent discoveries like that of the massive Seismosaurus, or "thunder lizard." '

The theater was huge and steep, tilted at a 30 degree angle. There were times during the film that I got really dizzy. Thankfully we had been advised to close our eyes if we felt dizzy or head out the back door if things became a bit too much.
My dear Mich was fascinated and scared all at once, especially when the dinosaurs begun to fight. His heart was beating like a fast drum, he was all shaky but watching with intensity while holding my arm real tight.
I'm told 'The dome is over 70 feet across and 4.5 stories tall. In addition, 20,000 watts of amplifier power and over 50 speakers will make you feel like you are part of the action.'

Here is a sample.



The day was going well until I lost my bag. I think I left it in the IMAX theatre, unfortunately I didn't find it :-(. It had my wallet (no money), my gloves, scarf and a pen. I put in a report at the information desk but to date it hasn't been found. My id, credit card, medical insurance id, library card, passport photos, all gone.
Interestingly I had put the camera in my pocket and I forgot my phone and keys at home. So I give thanks, it could have been worse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport