African Dance

Shoot!! it's March already?, can some one tell me why time is flying by so fast?
Just the other day we were celebrating Christmas and now we are facing Easter and soon it will be Christmas again.

Anyway a little bit of an update on my dancing quests. I told you how I went for a salsa audition, well I didn't make it. Turns out that almost all the people I danced with had taking salsa classes. I wasn't up to par but that's ok. I'm thinking of taking some classes so I can polish up, you never know when the skill might be required.
Since I didn't get it I decided to try out for the African dance, now that is more in my league. We had our fast practice today and it was so much fun.
First of all we were only five Africans, including the black Americans. The rest, fifteen or so of them were from every where else. It was a wonderful representation of Asia and Europe, we had Indians, Japanese, Israelis,Americans and some I couldn't quite make out.
Now when I say African dance, I'm talking about West African pretty much. It involves shaking the waist and other parts of the body which normally shouldn't be moving. Lets just say I was riding on being African and the talent that God gave me.
Just getting people to understand the strokes was hilarious. The instructor had to go way beyond the basics to, "put this leg here, then move in this direction, then you lift your hand like this...".
Aaaah! this is fun.
I'll keep you posted on how things go, so far I wouldn't want anyone I know see me do some the strokes because things are tight. I keep telling my self, this is a once in a life time thing so I might as well make the most of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport