Getting my groove back

Phew! that was a long one, it's certainly nice to be back. I would like to thank some of my buddies who were in touch while I was under the weather (you know yourselves).

Well, I've got a few updates not sure if each needs a separate posting or if I should knock them all down in one sitting. Then again it might be too much for one go so I think I will take it slow.
Just before I fell sick I was part of the team involved in the "Winter Welcome", a time when some of the prospective Wharton admits come to the school for a tour and a few meetings.
As usual I was with the Partners and Kids club, we had an information session where students with partners and kids get to know about our clubs and ask questions. It went really well, there was about 7 of us on the panel, 5 from the partners and 2 (Simran and I) from the kids club.

We introduce ourselves and then say something about where we are from and what we do, I'm getting used to sticking out like a sore thumb. In the group of students that showed up all were from around the area, New York, New Jersey e.t.c there were no international students and I was the only African. So, my story moving to Philly was definitely unique, I was talking about culture shock, absolutely unfamiliar territory, adjusting to being a stay home mom, the intense first quarter when Sam was hardly there e.t.c. You should have seen the look on the students faces, something like I was an alien from another planet, it didn't help that there were only like 2 or 3 students who actually had kids. True, they simply couldn't identify with me for the most part but I was encouraged when after the panel a few of them came up and were interested in talking a little more. That said we all had a great time, for a moment there it felt like I was talking to a class of Budonians who were giving me the look of " and what do you really have to say?" I guess that was all in my head, it's interesting how peoples facial expressions can be very misleading.
And now I need to prepare for the real big Welcome which is coming up this April, I'll shift the stories around and sort out the relevant stuff.

Comments

  1. Hi MO! Welcome back. That must have been quite a scare, I am glad you are back on form. Will text you pretty soon, somethings coming up in the next two weeks, the guys are going to be back from leave and there's a Rock Star in town, more later. love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport