My African Boy

Ever since we attended the Watoto concert in Ocean City there a side to Mich that I had not seen, may be I had but didn't taken note of it.
Jackie was kind enough to give us one of the DVD's and ever since Mich watched it that first time, he insists that I play it for him almost every day. He watches it with such concentration it's incredible, no one is allowed to talk or sing along while it's playing. He gets really upset when there is any kind of distraction. One time Sam came home from school and found him watching it, he didn't even turn his head towards the door let alone welcome his dad back.
He has learned most of the songs by now and he even dances a long. When I noticed that he liked the music so much I played for him another of the Watoto albums and you should have seen the look on his face, a mixture of awe, excitement, and wonder. I guess he couldn't believe there was more, but this time it was just playing and he couldn't see the children so that confused him a bit. He sat through the whole album, Sam and I were really surprised.

Interestingly it's not just Watoto music, I played some of Pastor Okudi's music and he couldn't stop dancing. Basically any music that has the African beat to it and has a local dialect (Swahili, luganda e.t.c) makes his day. Just a few minutes ago he was telling me to play the drums while he played the guitar(imaginary). I played and after some time I told him I was tired, then he said " but I can not play the guitar if you don't play the drums", that serious.

Music aside I have never seen a kid crazy about maize like he is, he eats it like his life depended on it. There are times we have decided not to buy it lest it starts growing out of his ears (hehehe). Anyway every time I buy some corns they get finished sooner than you know. If they are row I have to cook them because there have been times he starts nibbling at it when row. Then I thought let me keep it in the fridge, well he opens the fridge and finds it. We are teaching him to ask for things before taking them so he uses that on us, gets it out of the fridge and sweetly asks "Mummy please can I have some maize".
I know he likes g-nuts but unfortunately there are none here that compare with what we had back home so that will have to be put on hold for a while unless we have some nice person bring some when they come from home. One thing I know he certainly misses is kalo (millet), since he is a kid I wonder if his tastes will change completely or if he will remember when he gets to taste it again.

Comments

  1. Anonymous5:21 PM

    Dear Mary,

    I was feeling so stressed part of this morning and in my absent mindedness decided to look at your Blogs - whichI always find so interesting. At least there were two more postings that I had not read. and then, I dicovered that other - well I dont know how you call it - a lnk?? - you know it , it is on "It all not about me"!!

    Well Girl - what do you intend to do with all that meterial?? It surely makes some good reading!! Keep it up.

    I was impressed by the way Mich seems to be growing up - the real African kid, as you put it. Hopefully he will remember us when the time for meeting comes!!


    Best wishes and regards to Sam and Mich

    Mummy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport