Budo Fire

Last week, I read about the tragic fire that burned 19 children to death at Budo Junior. Oh how my heart sank. Every story I read (even as the details unfold) brings tears to my eyes. I think about the pain and desperate state of the parents.
How shocked, overwhelmed, and shattered they are, in a manner that no one can truly express. Losing a child, whether it's 2 days old, still in the womb, or even 50 years old is all the same. The memory of carrying this child for nine months, more or less, being blessed with the opportunity of seeing them grow, their laughter, their habits is ever so real, like it was yesterday.

I grieve with these parents because I have experienced similar pain. The feeling of absolute loss. Feeling like there's no reason to live another day.
The difference in my case is that I know God, I wonder if they do too. Who do they run to in a time such as this when no amount of consolation from friends, neighbours, sympathisers, relatives, strangers can even begin to soothe the ache in the soul?
I wish I could tell them, that there is hope even now, I know it sounds crazy but it's true.

I have found in Jesus the strength, the comfort, the understanding that no one and I mean no one could ever provide. Even though there are many relatives, friends and people who come to share in the grief. No one can fully comprehend the gravity of the pain that parents experience in a time like this, no one except God Himself. He knows more about us than we do about ourselves.
He experienced the greatest pain of all when He sent His ONLY son to die for us. He saw everything unfold, the peak of it all was when He couldn't look at His son because Jesus was covered with our sin.
Jesus just like these children was innocent and undeserving of such cruelty.
"All for love the Father gave".

He knows the pain.
He is the only one who can say "I know what you're going through", He is the only one who can say "It's gonna be alright" because He knows. It does not look that way now, we can not comprehend it now, it's absolutely overwhelming but He knows all. He knows their pain and He will see them through it all.
Saying that God allowed this tragedy to happen doesn't make sense to human mind but that is what I believe. I have learned Romans 8:28 to be true;
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose".

I know there are feelings of anger, of betrayal, of injustice, it's not wrong to feel this way but one thing I wish I could tell them is to give all their cares to Jesus and in time He will make this ugly experience one that brings a smile. I don't know how, but He will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport