IT WAS RIGHT HERE - PHILADELPHIA

The first time I saw you, oh you looked so run down
And I had a feeling we'd never get a long
Philly, you came along and didn't impress me at all
Now our lives are intertwined but it won't be for long
When I go it's you that I'll miss
A place like this grows on you oh oh oh

Okay enough with stealing Lionel Richie's words. I 'll make up my own.

IT WAS RIGHT HERE - PHILADELPHIA


They say that you are the city of brotherly love, I don't know

When I first looked at you, it was clear to me that you had been through some pretty tough times
From your worn out buildings and crowded streets, I could tell you had seen better days

Your people - Aisha, Lakisha, Tanisha, Malcolm and little Sasha running around in the playground, mama keeping a close eye and belting out in her stern don't-make-me-come-there kind of voice if any of them strayed too far
Michael and Susan holding hands as they run to school while dad folds up the stroller and mom parks the car
Students every where, college students, graduate students, doctorate students, in University of Pennsylvania, Temple University, Drexel University all coming from near and far
The Italian who owns the most visited pizza joint, Ling's Chinese restaurant up the road and the Ethiopian restaurant a few blocks away
Coffee shops at almost every corner- "Star bucks", "Bucks county coffee", "The green line" never empty having dogs of all shapes and sizes tied to a poll outside while their masters catch up with friends, do some reading or just sip on their daily cup of coffee
The crazy man who is almost always drunk, talking real loud and known to stand in the middle of the road, daring on coming traffic
Sandals, tank tops, shorts, mini skirts, and rowdy beer parties
Boots, Jackets, Umbrellas, hoods, raincoats, and rowdy beer parties
All these things characterise you

Your chilly winters, cool yellowing autumn, blazing hot summers, soaking wet spring
That's the Philly I know.

It's amazing to think that even though you look worn out, you are America's birth place.
It was right here that the declaration of independence was signed in 1777.
It was right here that the American flag was designed
It was right here that the first almanac was printed in 1685
It was right here that the first brick house was erected in 1682
It was right here that Rocky was filmed
It was right here that Will Smith was born and raised
It was right here ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport