Balding

 You look into the mirror and notice the receding line, oh my gooness!
Maybe the action starts in the middle, like a smooth iceberg slowly emerging from the water – your hair is thinning, now what?
 
I was chatting with a friend the other day and to the question “what’s new?” he said “I’m same old, same old, except I’m balding”. In the past year, I can count 6 of my guy friends who are balding too. In some instances it has come as a surprise because for the longest time, they had a full head of hair. For others I’m able to connect the dots – tell tale signs, certain hair styles and head gear.

My initial reaction? “oh my! We are aging and it’s beginning to show” then I meet balding men in their mid twenties.

Balding is natural, genetic even.

I’m curious. So, the day one first notices they are balding, does it come as a shock? Can you tell well before time that “tag, you’re it!”? When those little fellows start to take leave and not grow back, is one tempted to live in denial? Is it something to be embarrassed about?

How do wives react to the fact that their husbands are balding? Should the topic be included in dating 101 to avoid unnecessary surprises? “Baby, just so you know, I’ve got the balding genes!”

It reminds me of the day I first saw a grey hair on my head. I got close to the mirror, confirmed I was not hallucinating, it was grey hair. Filled with shock and unbelief, I studied it for a bit then I had a moment of silence. I have accepted it and know exactly where it strands.

May I encourage you that even God knew we would have issues with our hair;
Matthew 5:36 says “And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black” (we are not talking dye here).
Matthew 10:30 says, “And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered”.
So really, it’s all good! God is concerned with the details. As each strand comes loose from combing, brushing or strong winds, God is aware, He knows how many have fallen out and how many are left. He cares that much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport