Halloween trials.

It’s Halloween torment in the Ongwen household. I’m having sleepless nights with Mich literally pestering me for a Halloween costume. I wish he would forget about it but no,there are calls from eve
ry corner – the stores are filled with Halloween costumes, it's all over school, TV doesn’t spare us either, the neighborhood is covered in cobwebs, spiders,

  tombstones, pumpkins - the works!
Mich is all pumped up!

We have had the discussion, No Halloween! It’s not a holiday we appreciate as a family. Indulge in the candy by all means, but as a family, we don’t believe in celebrating death or the spooky representations. Clearly I’m not communicating right, after a few seconds he is talking about the zombie costume he saw in the store or how cool it would be to dress up as a vampire.

“Do you know what a vampire is?”
“Yes mummy, they have long sharp teeth and they suck human blood”
“Do you think that is a nice thing?”
“No mummy, but they look cool”

Where is the thrill in this? Why would a 7 year old be excited about a creature that sucks human blood? Am I taking things too seriously?

The other day he said, “Zombies are just a stage of life” I paused to listen.

“Okay, first it’s an egg, then a baby, then a little child, then a bigger child like me, then a man, then an old man, then it dies and becomes a zombie only that some of the flesh has been eaten by worms"

What is this? Is it me or are boys just wired differently? Where does he get this information? More importantly, why is he comfortable with it?

I’m concerned.  How do I reach my baby’s heart? Should I get burned out about this? Or just let it go as a “harmless” event?

Comments

  1. Hey Mary
    Perhaps Mich could go as a 'vampire slayer'? A Christian Knight who vanquishes demons?
    That way you won't be compromising your beliefs and he won't feel excluded from his classmates (which at that age is really important especially if he's the new kid in school)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport