Job Search 101

We resigned our jobs in Kampala to come to America. For a couple with 2 children, it sounds coo coo! Especially considering the sick economy. But alas this is our story. Well, the economy is still under the weather with bouts of wellness in a few places. How is that for a walk of faith?

Within a month of getting here I received a phone call from a hiring firm inviting me for an interview. Three hours after the interview they called to say they had a job for me. Since I have always applied for my jobs directly, dealing with a hiring firm is a learning experience, but here is how it works. Company Z is looking for a candidate to fill a position; they couldn’t be bothered with the recruiting process so they pay a hiring firm to find the right person. The hiring firm scans through resumes and picks a candidate who suits the profile. They interview the candidate and if they are satisfied with the result, they alert company Z. Since the hiring firm has a good track record of picking the right people, company Z takes the recruit on to start work immediately. With that back ground, let’s switch back to my story.

Okay, so the hiring firm gives me the details of the organization that is looking to hire me, in this case a Consulting firm. They are clinical psychologists majoring in organizational strategy, they are involved in HR training and basically helping companies maximize the full potential of their staff. I was assigned to a buddy in the hiring firm who “coached me” on self presentation. 1st, wear a suit to the interview 2nd, don’t mention salary (that’s between them and the client) My CV was printed on their letter headed paper - I was their employee to all intents and purposes.

The interview with the client was casual, more of a chat. The interviewer liked me and expressed it in no uncertain terms. After the interview, reported back to the hiring firm.

Later that evening I got a call from the hiring firm to say, things were looking good. The consulting firm was considering me for the position, yeeey!!!

Two days later I was invited for a “meet and greet”. I thought it was an opportunity to meet the rest of the staff. It turned out to be a second interview with the Finance Administrator. By the way, it’s a British consulting firm, with headquarters in the UK – this office is a branch with 4 staff. Yes, small like that! Again, I had to give feedback after the interview to the hiring firm and again I received a call to say things were definitely looking good. The next step was meeting the president of the organization who happened to be out of town.

It’s a whirl wind of events; moving back and forth, feeling like a puppet in the hands of the hiring firm, wondering whether I really want to have a full time job. What about my little heart throbs – Amani and Mich? Will daddy stay home and look after them? Do I really want Amani to go to day care? Stuff that can break a woman’s back.

A day later I get another phone call inviting me to meet one of the Consultants in the firm – I was getting a hung of this “meet and greet” thing, so I prepared for the interview. It was a pleasant meeting close to an hour long, very intense too (That’s what you get when you expose yourself to clinical psychologists; they want to figure out how your brain works).

At this point even the hiring firm is flabbergasted; they have not met a client this detailed. Most clients don’t interview candidates; they just show up for orientation and work. Anyway, things go silent at this point. A week later, the hiring firm calls to inform me the consulting firm has put recruiting on hold until the president approves.

I was disappointed! My time, my transport… But elated on the other hand that I would be home with my babies.

2 days later, hiring firm calls to say they’ve found an opportunity with a service employees union - 3 days a week for a month, not exciting but workable. God answers prayers in interesting ways. And now I pray that God finds my DH an excellent, out of this world, just right job.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport