Discoveries: 22nd August 2006


I also discovered some interesting information about the University of Pennsylvania, it was the first University in America, isn't that amazing?! makes me want to apply immediately so that by some chance I can join in February. Another thing that struck me about it is the solidarity of its students dating back to the beginning. Every where you walk on the campus there are plaques with names of different students and the years they attended and their contribution to the school after they left. By the way the contributions are not minor for example I went to what they call the Perelman quadrangle, there was one guy who contributed a "tree-lined plaza and an amphitheater" now that's awesome, then a family of mother and daughter who created a garden of flowers, isn't that something? oh yes and then there is a huge bridge almost in the center of the campus that was done by a whole class, their names are engraved on the side walk. Makes one stop to think of our beloved schools and universities and how we are so glad to get our education and walkout without looking back. Why is it so different? how come we don't have the same zeal and dedication?

Something else I noticed about Americans, or maybe its just that I'm spending more time around students, they have the dress down culture. I'm certainly very happy with it, jeans and T-shirts all day everyday, my kind of thing. Students are either in snickers or in sandals and slippers, shoes of other types are hard to come by. The weather right now is pretty much the same as back in UG so why the big difference? why do we sweat it out in the suits and leather shoes? And I think this applies to both our students and the working class.
I owe all my discoveries and observances to a one Mich, today we were passing by the campus when he begun chasing squirrels and running everywhere so while I made sure he stayed out of peoples classrooms and stuff, almost each time he went round some bend I found something worthwhile noting.
Did I tell you guys that once Mich run into a class while it was still in session? I most certainly didn't disown him but it was kind of weird. Luckily class was just winding down so he didn't cause a fuss, the next thing I knew the students came rushing through the door and Mich was running right past them laughing and making noise. He probably didn't know what he had just done, but it certainly put a smile on peoples faces.

I got an email from the Pastor of Vineyard Community Church, the church I first attended, saying his wife would like to meet up with me for coffee or lunch, that should be interesting, will let you know the outcome. I think they are wonderful people, we went over for dinner last week but because there was another couple we didn't get to talk much on a one to one basis. I certainly like the followup, makes me appreciate all the more the cell vision and why it was such a fire in Pastor Gary's heart.

Okay then till later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport