Chips or french fries: 28th August 2006

They say no news is good news and I think that is true for me, I haven't gotten lost or done anything really crazy so I don't have much to say. Well except for once when I went to order food at a take away and I told the guy I wanted chicken and chips. The guys says great, how do you like your chicken and because I know they serve the chicken with hot pepper I said I would like it mild and that was fine. Then for the chips he asks what size would you like, and I'm thinking size?? don't they all come out the same? he goes on to say there is the big packet, medium size and then the small one and by now he was pointing at packets of what in UG we call "crisps". Immediately I remember the other phrase they use here "french fries" and so I tell him, and that sorted me out. He was a really nice guy plus I was so glad they had the "crisps" on display coz I honestly don't know how I would start explaining to Sam my new concoction of chicken and crisps.

Sam, Mich and I are doing well, the pressure of books subsided a bit over this weekend because preterm is about to close and they need to get ready for the real roller-coaster. Today we had a family BBQ for students and partners, it was really nice, great food, lots of people and children. I was so happy to see all these kids because I was beginning to think Sam was the only guy in the school who had a wife and child. We would go for parties and I was the only one there with a kid, it was beginning to feel really weird but I got to understand that some families live in the outskirts so the students cant exactly drag everyone along to a get together and other partners have jobs and people to babysit when they have to go places.
At least now I have one or two people I can hung with at these functions, I'm not all that good with hitting it off first time, I think I'm happier getting to know and bond with people over a long period, so far so good.
We had a dance session that I found really hilarious, well first the music was a Little strange to me although I must admit the DJ tried his best considering that he had a vast audience: Chinese, Indian, Korean, African, black American, American e.t.c. Anyway guys got on to the dance floor and honestly if say the music was muted and you were watching this on screen you would think they had been bitten by insects, it was quite entertaining, the Africans definitely took the cup because they just knew their thing.
The variety of drinks here is incredible, at some point I decided to get something to drink, I had seen one of our christian buddies drinking some canned stuff so I thought I would give it a try, wrong move I tell you. It didn't taste nice and it was actually a beer, I took one sip and was glad nobody was looking, I quickly put it on the table with the rest of the unfinished drinks. I guess I should learn to read the labels better.

Mich is doing holding up, a little more cautious when playing with other children but opens up when he realizes that he is in good company.

I hear Kony has agreed to cease fire/ peace talks, that sounds like really good news.

Have a great day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport