Life in the City of Brotherly Love

... more news


Looks like the last mail I sent was a blank--after I had poured out my heart like in 4 pages--anyway I was using a laptop and the battery was running low so I hurried to send it but alas it seems it disappeared.

Ok lets see if I can recall what I was telling you guys... well a few high lights, Mich's favorite words lately have been "mummy I do not like the home" so every time we go out for a walk getting him into the house is a real hustle. I guess that is because the home is a flat and there is no play area, besides, it is a little dark on the inside and the man just does not like small spaces. But I think things are looking up, well at least some days they look up and he seems quite happy. Slowly he is getting used to the place, it is really slow.

We go everywhere together, he does not seem to like spending time with Dad I guess because he is away most of the day. I think he really misses playing company and I am growing a little old for the running around thing. We have been to a few parks in the area where there are a lot of slides and swings and he plays for a bit then he stops, and I am thinking now what?! Anyway I realized some of these things are not fun when its just you, you need company. I wonder where all the kids are? I guess there is school and summer holidays or something, once in a while we find some kids and that brightens up his day, then he does not want to leave the area all together, so there is no comfort zone yet, everything has its cons.

Hmm!! The other day we tried out this church not too far off called "Vine yard community church", it takes place in a school area and has a congregation of about 30 people. Sam had been there before and so they were familiar with him, their theme is something like "spreading the love of Jesus to the ends of the earth" I thought now that is some what like the KPC vision, somewhat. Then the brochure about the church says, "You are welcome to sit back and enjoy the music, listen to the sermon and announcements". Whatever happened to joining in the praise and worship and having time with God for ones self?? Anyway, I should not be too judgmental I think they just want people from everywhere to feel comfortable in the church. 

I did not sit through the sermon because my dear Mich was not about to sit in Sunday school with one other child and the teacher, so we went out for a walk. At the end of the service Sam introduced me to the pastor Brad and his wife. They are a young couple and I think I am settling in pretty fast because it was not until I got home and Sam pointed it out to me that I noticed the pastors wife had a nose ring, the kind that looked like a ship anchor. Anyway they are nice people they have invited us over for dinner sometime next week. I cant imagine Marilyn with one of those, I really need to find the Navigators in this area because things are tight, meanwhile I continue to pray that God leads us to the place He wants us to worship and be involved.

On Saturday we went out to Wal-mart to buy a few things for the home, saucepans, spoons... the whole works. It is an interesting area, I mean the location of Wal-mart, you get to see all sorts of people there--this is like one hour away from home. There are Chinese, blacks, whites, Hispanics, e.t.c, The ladies are really huge, I do not know what is in their diet but I do not want any of it. Most of them looked pregnant, the tummies are really out there, well except for the Chinese who are really slim, some zungus and new mothers. Funny that the new mums are flat tummied and am serious, some thing is very wrong.

Our diet had not been the healthiest until recently when I got some pots and pans, almost everything that was available was tasteless. I could survive but my man Mich was not eating anything, he did not even like the bread, the chicken is dipped in some sweet stuff so that was not nice either, the time I remember he ate was when we went to a welcome party for the Wharton students black community and they gave us maize, he ate till he was blue.

People like Mich a lot, we went for a welcome party on the Penn campus and this lady took a picture of Mich and I, next day Sam came home and told me how we were all over the campus screens, hehehe a little fame will not hurt .

This place has got a variety of everything, making a choice can be really tough, especially when it comes to buying food stuffs, its gonna be trial and error all the way. 

The houses are awesome, some of them, but the differences are also amazing, there are really nice houses then not so nice houses, then not nice houses. When we had just come I thought we were in a really nice neighborhood until took a few walks around. I decided we were actually living student lives and there is real nice stuff out there but also banange! As some places are real dumps, real awful and dirty?!

I'm not yet set up at home so I have to use Sam's laptop until I get something steady, not that he needs to use the machine.

Did I tell you he is real busy?! Man! In this school you hit the ground running and imagine his lecturers say they still have some time on their hands before it actually gets really busy, I cant imagine what that is like.

I miss home, family and friends, need people to talk to, its a process I know and slowly I will get there, but I am also counting down to when I can go back home.

Till later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport