My first train ride: 14th August 2006

Life can be tough and interesting at the same time. I have enrolled in the Wharton Partners club and today was balling night just for the partners. I wasnt really enthusiastic about it but Sam encouraged me to go, he thought it would be nice for me to get to meet other people in my shoes and also have some time away from Mich, l liked the idea. The only problem is, it was quite a distance away and I dreaded getting to use the bus and train system on my own.
Anyway he helped me get the directions told me which route to take and I was off.
I was going to 13th & chestnut and home is 44th locust, anyway I was well equiped, took the train for the first time on my own and that was great, I knew where I was getting off so I walked confidently, got onto the street and started looking out for the 13th chestnut street. The way roads are set is in a grid format so really one can not fail, should not fail to get to a particular place and besides there are lots of signs and directions and people to ask incase one is in doubt.
Just before I got to 13th and chestnut I saw a music store and well it got the better of me, I still had time on my hands so I thought I would go in and browse abit. It was awesome, like four times the size of Aristoc, got to the music section and all the christian music one could think of was there, I was looking for yours truly Darlene and yeee! I was like a kid in a toy factory, only limitation was money. Spent about 30 mins in there and continued my journey. Got to 13th and chestnut but couldnt locate the joint, so I decided to keep walking (Amanda does this sound farmiliar?). Anyway, I keep looking out for this place, I was told to check the numbers, they are either increasing or decreasing and in my case they had to be decreasing, so I continue to walk. I was looking for number 36 and somehow the numbers I was seeing were still in 500 something. I keep walking, I get to the liberty bell then I realise eeh! if this place is where I think it is then it was like living in Kasanga, heading to portbell luzira and the train leaves you at Nakawa. How come Sam didnt mention that? he usually does if its going to be a long distance so I thought, this must be his way of getting me out there to learn to use the system , because I really wasnt big on the balling thing but he was.
I eventually get to Penns landing, this is like a sea port, as in all I could see ahead was water and quite honestly there were no shortcuts to the other side but the funny thing was the numbers were still reducing, I was now between 100 and 1 and trying to get to 36. Silly girl!you are so off the track, this is 2 hours later, it was about time I headed home, luckily at the port there were buses and one that was headed home, I told the bus driver where I was going so she told me to hop right in and here Iam.

Sam couldnt believe it when I told him the story, there has got to be something really wrong with me how can I be such a dodoe with directions. Turns out that I actually got to the place and past it because I was being miss led by some funny numbers. The place was just afew blocks away from where the train left me. It was a great trip for me though, got to see lots of places and spots that I would like to go and spend alittle more time at, especially the historical sites. With all this adventure I can actually become a tour guide hehehehe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport