Rollin

I realise it has been six months since I have been in Philly and as I look back I'm certainly more adjusted than I was at the start ( I imagine you are saying, duh!).

Over this period God has blessed me with some very special friends, it's amazing. I met Suzanne at a get together that was hosted by her and her husband. We found out we shared the same faith and she had spent some good time in Africa. We have been friends since, she has a son whom Mich loves to play with and we get to go places together. It is wonderful when you are in a new place and someone seeks you out, I really thank God for her.
There is another couple we met at church, Evan is a second year student and his wife Jane is a stay home mom just like me. They have a son too who is one of Mich favourite buddies, he actually looks up to Mich in many ways and they have a lot of fun together. Sam and I have been over to their house a couple of times too and it's great knowing them.

I told you that I had joined the worship team at my church, I must say it's worked out pretty well. I was extremely shy at the start but now that I'm more familiar with members of the church it's been great. I'm learning a lot about the style of worship, not being too worked up about perfection and yet giving it my all never the less.
Now you know that Mich has two buddies that he likes to spend time with, that obviously goes to show that he too is at ease. He is well accustomed to the house, he even calls it home, sometimes he surprises me when he says he doesn't want to go outside, this is the same boy who threw tantrums about getting into the house in the first place.
He has enjoyed the snow, he plays in it a lot and sometimes holds it in his hand until it melts, I still don't know how he does that without feeling the biting cold.

That said, I will absolutely not forget how confused I was when we first moved here, sometimes I felt like a zombie almost having no clue of what was going on.
Struggling to get my son adjusted to the new place while I was dealing with my own issues was a bit much. For some reason I got the other end of peoples' conversations with me, for the most part it was only till I got home and had time alone that I would figure out what they had asked me and how I made a total fool of myself. I know the language is the same but the meanings of things differs (or is it just me?).
In one conversation the lady asked "So have you and Sam been out" and I replied "yes, but not that much", then I went ahead to mention the places we had travelled to in the city. I figured out later that she was asking if we had been eating out at the restaurants around the city.
At one of our home group meetings we shared the things we had learnt over the past year. One person said "he learned not to take the 21 bus" (he got beaten on his way home), then it was my turn and so I mentioned "I learned to trust God more" because He had shown me that He could take care of even the smallest details of our move. The next person said they learned how important it is to keep time and two other people after her agreed to the same. I felt like a chicken among ostriches, their answers where more practical and mine was faith related, anyway it made me feel odd, as if they were just being themselves and I on the other hand was being too "spiri". I decided that next time I would just shut my mouth coz that way I wouldn't make a fool of myself.

Comments

  1. Can I just say how encouraged I feel whenever I read your blog. I see how well you are doing, how you overcome the trials, culture shock and still stay very grounded in your relationship with God! Thank you so much for starting this blog - it's a way of staying connected to you(mental note to self - must update blog)
    And please don't stay silent at your cell group. I do think that what you said was practical and maybe you needed to illustrate with examples of the particular situations that you saw God's hand at work. Sometimes it is easy to get caught up in Christian jargon which to some extent has become stale from over use... personally, I switch off. But have you noticed how people sit up and take notice when you give a personal example. Suddenly they can relate it and immediately apply it to their own lives. Joyce Meyer does this a lot and you know for yourself that she is reknowned for being one of the best Bible teachers in the world. Your blog is the same I just love reading it - everyday I come back to it. Even when you haven't updated stuff, I reread the archives. And because you use personal examples it's helped me to 'see' God's faithfulness in yours and your family's life - and to understand you when you say "God has been faithful"! Don't let the other people in your cell group miss out on the wealth of your experience
    love Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim, this is such an encouraging message. It's always nice to hear from you.
    Thanks for the advice too.

    Much love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:32 PM

    Hey Mjay!

    Even though I am still at home surrounded by familiar people and surroundings, I know exactly how you feel! Moving to a new department at MTN was a little more than daunting! At 1st I thought I would even faint from the huge amount of work and differences from what I was used to but alas true to His word, God brought me through and He still continues to do so. I know this is a cliche but 'Isnt He great? I love this article and cant wait to publish it on Take 5!
    Take Care!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for dropping by :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Kitante Primary School Circa the 1980's

The Peeping Petticoat

A spin through Heathrow airport